8D battery lifespan

Lion's Paw

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.divehatteras.com
Boat Make
42 Duffy
Master, it's a 42 Duffy twin screw boat. 2batteries per side all set up to work as independant banks or cross connect as needed. Either bank can run the electric loads. It came set up like this and seems ok. I sit on the hook engines off a good bit with all the electronics running for hours so lots of battery is a good thing. Plus there's the generator with its own starting battery.

No, there wasn't one more start in that one.... Came back to the boat and "what's that smell?" Battery had done that while unattended. It had been checked and water topped off week or so prior. I just got lucky nothing else happened. Prompted me to get them all in proper boxes and well secured like they should have been.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
2 8D's on the H&H i unhook both cables for the winter, leave them in the boat and have one of those smart chargers hooked up to them. I only used 24 or 27's from Costco on my bowpicker had 2 on that boat and i stayed out/lived on that boat pretty much all summer never had any problems. I'd change one out every 2 years.

cb34

Rear Admiral
batteries

I will take all those good batteries that are being changed out post 5 seasons;)

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
Master, it's a 42 Duffy twin screw boat. 2batteries per side all set up to work as independant banks or cross connect as needed. Either bank can run the electric loads. It came set up like this and seems ok. I sit on the hook engines off a good bit with all the electronics running for hours so lots of battery is a good thing. Plus there's the generator with its own starting battery.

No, there wasn't one more start in that one.... Came back to the boat and "what's that smell?" Battery had done that while unattended. It had been checked and water topped off week or so prior. I just got lucky nothing else happened. Prompted me to get them all in proper boxes and well secured like they should have been.

Lionspaw:Thanks, for some reason i was thinking you were only a 35to38 footer. I have no idea why. lol

james

Lieutenant
Boat Make
crusader 34
your battery life will depend on your amp hour draw and maitenance im cheif engineer on a tug we have issues with d8's all the time and most common problem we have that fries our d8 batteries is there is a constant overdraw on what the amp hours can maintain wich keeps the chargers running all the time and that will eventually burn cells
also maintaining your battery acid level will keep your battery alive much longer a simple hydrometer and acid will save you a lot of money in the long run and keep your 5 year old battery working strong

Uncleray

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
Batteries

Spring 2006 installed Lifeline 8D's that are still going strong despite one episode of dead drawdown due to bad inverter/charger (prosine). Only now thinking they may be weak. Boat has been on mooring all the time, never removed them in winter, occasional trickle charge.

Door#3

Lieutenant
I am getting 4 years on my 8D's but they still have life in them at that time. I am just anal about having strong batteries on board.

I purchased the last pair at Batteries Plus. Good prices!

We pull ours out of the boat at the end of each season, store them in my warm basement, and charge them a couple times during the winter. Putting them on board in the spring and removing them in the fall are the most hated boat maintenance tasks ...

Kaiser

Lieutenant Commander
I too change out one battery every two years and just put in into a tractor or forklift I have. I prefer walking back to the barn to being on a drift to the Azors

After doing that for the last 6 or seven years ALL of my machines fire right up and I am usually never returning a battery with life in it

Top Bottom