A & B ports on solenoid for auto pilot

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
The solenoid i have has the right & left ports marked A & B so what is right and what is left or does it even matter and the computer for the pilot figures it out ??? Or when i hook up the 12volt wires from the solenoid to the computer do i just switch the leads to correct right & left steering. Nothing in the computer instructions tells me much and the solenoid came with nothing but the bill !
Its going to be a bastage to squeeze in the hoses and tee fittings so i'm taking the steering motor and solenoid to the hydraulics shop and let then figure out how to plumb it. I don't really have any other spot to mount it without replumbing the whole system.
solenoid.jpg

solenoid.jpg

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
Steve call Marty Bolcome at Roses in Gloucester, he is the guru with that valve.
1-877-283-3334 or if you want his email let me know

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Thanks Mike, that's who i ordered it from and Marty is a big help but he's always out of the store when i call, i thought he had already told me it didn't make any difference but i just thought i'd see if anyone else knew anything about them. I have his email and he knew the former owner of my boat.
Its a hose nightmare on my bulkhead wall so i don't want to make things worse (like it matters), i'm going to have to clean things up after this season. I just want to get the pilot working and get out fishing.
20130526_172249[1].jpg

20130526_172249[1].jpg

Last edited:

Pedlyr

Captain
I just did this on one of our boats. I had 3 wires on the boat. 4 wires in the Vickers solenoid.

One boat wire is a negative and shared. That goes to a wire from each coil. Then the remaining 2 wires each go to a coil.

You can hook up the negatives first and try with a meter to see which wire gets energized.

What I did was manually move each coil first. With the system running take a small screwdriver or a pick. On the black caps of each coil end there is a little hole. If you push there you can manually actuate each coil. So you now know which coil does what.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
No good today at the hydraulic shop, there's just no way to plumb in the tee's and not have a run around of hoses and i don't have the room for that !! I'm going to order the one piece monoblock solenoids from the guy in Rockland at least its a more compact unit. Shit another week before i get closer to fishing.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Travis, I just don't have the room to snake around the hoses around and thru all the other hydro and fuel hoses, it was ok till i moved the helm to clear the partition wall and adding another set of kobelts didn't help either. Nobody around here to do tubing so i think that other style solenoid is my best bet, by the picture it looks like the ports are easier to plumb into. Its a 30 mile round trip to the hydro shop so i don't want to be running there a few times a day trying to get fittings and hoses made up only to find out i measured wrong or made a mistake. I should have known better than to think they would have anything i needed to do this, they just don't deal with this stuff here.

Top Bottom