A good reason for cable controls.

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
This was just sent to me by a buddy. It makes you think twice for having electronic controls. I have seen my share of low voltage issues with todays electronics as well as some other crazy stuff. In any case there are a few good take-aways from this lesson so at least you maybe prepared if it should happen to you.

Sportfish "Silver Fox" accident at Sailfish Marina - YachtForums.Com

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Ouch!!

That sucks.

Do modern diesels still have air box shut offs like our old Detroits?

Yes some boats have dampers on the air intakes that can be closed in the event of an emergency.

Ditchdigger

Rear Admiral
Mechanical controls

I am old school. Engines that were fairly easy to fix are No longer. Cables on the transmission, are No Longer. Electronic is GREAT STUFF, Until it has a Glitch. [ Huston, we have a problem] As an average guy, I have grown up with boats, and have owned many boats for over 40 years, we have now become dependent on electronic this and electronic that. Dealers are nothing than replace the part people until the right part fixes the problem. This is at over $100.00 bucks an hour.The engines with their computers are Way smarter than the people that are working on them. They are Way smarter than me. My wife has a nice car, that you can No longer view the engine, and once you find it, you have No idea of what you are looking at.
Technology is great. 97 % of the people are not equipped to deal with the problems when there is a glitch with something which has been deemed electronic. Give me the Old Stuff. This is just my opinion from an old timer.

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
I am old school. Engines that were fairly easy to fix are No longer. Cables on the transmission, are No Longer. Electronic is GREAT STUFF, Until it has a Glitch. [ Huston, we have a problem] As an average guy, I have grown up with boats, and have owned many boats for over 40 years, we have now become dependent on electronic this and electronic that. Dealers are nothing than replace the part people until the right part fixes the problem. This is at over $100.00 bucks an hour.The engines with their computers are Way smarter than the people that are working on them. They are Way smarter than me. My wife has a nice car, that you can No longer view the engine, and once you find it, you have No idea of what you are looking at.
Technology is great. 97 % of the people are not equipped to deal with the problems when there is a glitch with something which has been deemed electronic. Give me the Old Stuff. This is just my opinion from an old timer.

I recall everything you stated and although I was next to dead I'm not that old. It almost seems like you need a computer just to fix the simple stuff these days. What will it be like when we are old, I can only imagine.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Wow. Of course cables can break too; how about the hynautic shifters w/ antifreeze in them? That's something where you know what you've got. They are expensive, but smooth as silk. A buddy of mine was a hot dog when he started running a single screw charter boat many years ago and used to smoke her into the slip like he was going for the leader on a blue one. Old timer said: "Boy, one of these days you are going to break a cable and you'll end up in the parking lot." He said "no, never going to happen" to the puzzlement of the old man- no cables to break...

Top Bottom