A how to question, Maine Lobster Permit?

imr87

Lieutenant
Boat Make
In the dreamworks
Basically I would like for anyone who knows the actual process of getting a commercial permit in Maine explain it please...

I've read that there are multiple area's A,B,C,D... ETC.
I've read that you have to go through an "apprenticeship"
I've also read that the wait list is averaging 30 years???

Hopefully you guys don't think I'm an idiot haha!

Thanks!

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
So I'm assuming you're looking for a "commercial" license and not a "non-commercial (recreational)" license.

The coast of Maine is broken up into 7 zones, A-G. From here each zone has their own ratio for limited entry (zone C is open). They have recently changed it from fisherman out to number of tags out which has messed up a bunch of people on the waiting lists.

Unless you're a student (under age 23 and actively in school) you need to go through the apprentice program (students have their own type of apprentice program). Under the guidelines of the apprentice program one must have 200 logged days and 1000 hours over a minimum of 24 months to qualify for a spot on the waiting list for the zone they are trying to get into. The apprentice may have up to 3 sponsors who all must be in the zone they are trying to get into as well as have had a valid license for the past five years. 200 of those hours may be on "trap work" on land, doesn't have to be actual fishing time.

Here are some links:

Maine Department of Marine Resources Lobster Limited Entry and Apprentice Program

http://www.maine.gov/dmr/rm/lobster/ApprenticeBrochureApril2012WEB.pdf

http://www.maine.gov/dmr/council/lobsterzonecouncils/Lobster Zones All Zones.jpg

My stern girl will be going through the student program next year, based on her school schedule if she doesn't miss any fishing days it will take her 5 years to log all the hours and fishing days. At that time she will be old enough to run a boat by herself with nobody else on board.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
Boat Make
You will also need to complete an USCG approved Fishing Vessel Drill Conductor Course within 24 months from your first fishing day.

Conversely if you want to go the non-commercial route, you show up with cash in hand, do the little open book test (I think there might even be an online one now) and you walk out with your trap tags. But you only get five traps.

imr87

Lieutenant
Boat Make
In the dreamworks
So I'm assuming you're looking for a "commercial" license and not a "non-commercial (recreational)" license.

The coast of Maine is broken up into 7 zones, A-G. From here each zone has their own ratio for limited entry (zone C is open). They have recently changed it from fisherman out to number of tags out which has messed up a bunch of people on the waiting lists.

Unless you're a student (under age 23 and actively in school) you need to go through the apprentice program (students have their own type of apprentice program). Under the guidelines of the apprentice program one must have 200 logged days and 1000 hours over a minimum of 24 months to qualify for a spot on the waiting list for the zone they are trying to get into. The apprentice may have up to 3 sponsors who all must be in the zone they are trying to get into as well as have had a valid license for the past five years. 200 of those hours may be on "trap work" on land, doesn't have to be actual fishing time.

Here are some links:

Maine Department of Marine Resources Lobster Limited Entry and Apprentice Program

http://www.maine.gov/dmr/rm/lobster/ApprenticeBrochureApril2012WEB.pdf

http://www.maine.gov/dmr/council/lobsterzonecouncils/Lobster Zones All Zones.jpg

My stern girl will be going through the student program next year, based on her school schedule if she doesn't miss any fishing days it will take her 5 years to log all the hours and fishing days. At that time she will be old enough to run a boat by herself with nobody else on board.

That's very interesting, I'm assuming the waiting lists vary quite a bit for how long they are? By trap tags, what does that mean? I know each pot has its own tag, but what is the ratio for tags out to permits issued? Thanks for your response!

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
Boat Make
That's very interesting, I'm assuming the waiting lists vary quite a bit for how long they are? By trap tags, what does that mean? I know each pot has its own tag, but what is the ratio for tags out to permits issued? Thanks for your response!

I'm so glad you asked.

Zone A: 3 licenses awarded; based on a 1:3 Exit Ratio (1 new license for every 2,400 tags)
Zone B: 1 license awarded; based on a 1:5 Exit Ratio (1 new license for every 4,000 tags)
Zone D: 2 license awarded; based on a 1:5 Exit Ratio (1 new license for every 4,000 tags)
Zone E: 3 license awarded; based on a 1:5 Exit Ratio (1 new license for every 3,000 tags)
Zone F: 2 license awarded; based on a 1:5 Exit Ratio (1 new license for every 4,000 tags)
Zone G: 1 licenses awarded; based on a 1:5 Exit Ratio (1 new license for every 4,000 tags)

imr87

Lieutenant
Boat Make
In the dreamworks
I'm so glad you asked.

Zone A: 3 licenses awarded; based on a 1:3 Exit Ratio (1 new license for every 2,400 tags)
Zone B: 1 license awarded; based on a 1:5 Exit Ratio (1 new license for every 4,000 tags)
Zone D: 2 license awarded; based on a 1:5 Exit Ratio (1 new license for every 4,000 tags)
Zone E: 3 license awarded; based on a 1:5 Exit Ratio (1 new license for every 3,000 tags)
Zone F: 2 license awarded; based on a 1:5 Exit Ratio (1 new license for every 4,000 tags)
Zone G: 1 licenses awarded; based on a 1:5 Exit Ratio (1 new license for every 4,000 tags)

Just clicked through most of those links on the apprenticeship page for the zones, it looks like the average waiting list is about 10 years long!!! So I guess I had better look for a sternman job out there in the meantime haha!

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Just for curiosity, what do the commercial guys tend to think of the 5 trap rec guys? Will they have any traps left when they go to check them? Ha ha

Top Bottom