A visit today @ Hugo Stamp Inc. Ft Lauderdale FL

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH.. Piscataqua and Merrimack Rivers
Boat Make
27 H&H with Cummins QSB 5.9 480 power
Earlier today I made a visit to Hugo Stamp Inc. MSHS - Diesel Engine Repair, Maintenance, Turbocharger Repairs And Overhauls
in Ft Lauderdale to check out the scope and breadth of the FPT NEF marine engine power offerings. As I understand it ALL the NEF and Cursor engines that make their way to the end users (boats/owners) pass through Hugo Stamp. Gears are attached here and the engines are fired up and run before heading to "some point" in the states. I was there about an hour and saw a real "going concern". There were maybe 6 service guys "messing with and preparing engines to go.

If my plans hold together I'll be needing a new 5.9/6.7 liter with gear for a new DE build early fall.

Most of you guys know I'm partial to Cummins marine power plants and have a pr. of 6BTA 370s. Cummins builds a great motor and has a dealer network 2nd to none and there are many many after market parts and OEM parts for Cummins Marine engines. My plan is to stay with Cummins BUT I have some "engine height" concerns fitting a QSB into my new build. Nothing insurmountable for sure but the QSB is a "tall" engine compared to Yanmars and FPT NEFs.

With the marketing push up here in the northeast and all of the technical back and forth posting of the FPT NEF 5.9s and now 6.7s along with the big 9 liter and 13 liters engines I figured it was time to start (as best I can) an assessment of the FPT NEF marine engines.

I have heard NOTHING but very good reports from owners of the old IVECOs, Cursors and the new NEF 5.9s and 6.7s as far as dependability of the engine even after thousands of hours and 8-10 years of marine age.

No major engine incidents such as blown pistons, belt rods, spun bearings and the like. So the next step in assessing this engine at least for me is "service and parts availability" years out after a few thousand hours.

Nothing is gauranteed in the corporate business world but it is difficult for me to believe that a FPT NEF 6.7, 9 or 13 liter marine engine will be "abandoned" by Fiat Power Technologies in the out years. The purchase of Chyrsler, 9 and 13 liter engines built for CAT, the industrial base of New Holland and Case tractor along with FPTs world wide presence and the fact they build 3+ million engines per year makes me less "skitterish" of buying a NEF product.

OK, the "visit". I showed up @ the Hugo Stamp office unannounced and asked to "look over" a NEF 450 6.7. Told them where I was from etc. The sales manager Marcus Platte was @ a boat service show. The office gal called a service guy out (Ryszard Bruski, Project Manager) and he walked me through the facility and went over in detail the NEF 450 6.7, the new NEF 6.7 570, a 13 liter brute being run with a gear attached and the overall service area.

I did NOT have my camera or I would have taken pictures. I counted about 20 engines ready to roll out the door. 1/2 6.7s and the rest 9 liter and 13 liter engines. Ryszard said they had shipped 35-40 engines to the northeast in the past few years.

I did not walk through the MAN or Deutsch engine areas. Hugo Stamp is a BIG facility.

The NEF 6.7 marinization package is pretty nice and compact. It is mostly well thought out.

Access to filters, starter serpentine belt etc. is good. After cooler and heat exchanger cleaning/maintenance is good, similar to the Cummins products.

Three features I thought was neat was the "hand pump" built into the oil pan for changing oil and the factory hot water loop outlets for a cabin heater. The other is the multiple NPT plugs along the water cooled exhaust manifold for additional alarm switches etc. The dry riser and SS mixer appears 1st class. No worries of the mixer holding water. One concern would be enough height above the water line with the standard factory piece in a low profile boat.

The wiring harness is beefy along with the SS hoses, cooler lines and the like.

Ryszard walked me through a NEF 570. I asked him how the engine got rid of the heat generated by that hp @ 3000 rpm. There is a massive water cooled oil exchanger on the engine.

Hugo Stamp from all appearances has plenty of engines, parts and expertise for FPT marine engines.

FWIW, Bill D

Fvdestiny

Commander
Website
www.destinyfishingscharters.com
Boat Make
38 northern bay green stick boat/30 Calvin beal tuna boat/20 Seacraft Master Angler
Being an owner of an NEF 450 that has not visited the plant that is great to know. I have spoken with Rychard on many occasions and the parts department always gets me parts next day when needed. I was as most nervous about buying a boat at first with this power,but have nothing but good things to say about the support. Peter has been 1st class as well and goes to great lengths to help with questions..

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
Being an owner of an NEF 450 that has not visited the plant that is great to know. I have spoken with Rychard on many occasions and the parts department always gets me parts next day when needed. I was as most nervous about buying a boat at first with this power,but have nothing but good things to say about the support. Peter has been 1st class as well and goes to great lengths to help with questions..

From what I have researched and the dialogue today with the distributor along with receiving messages and speaking directly to owners from other forums who own the newer NEF 5.9s/6.7s and the older IVECO 5.9s I etc. I would not be concerned about the robustness of the base engine and the marinization components of the FTP NEF engines. Also access to parts and dealers local to me who are "laptop certified" for electronics issues etc. are OK.

I spent some time last week talking with a FTP dealer local to me in MA Steve's Marine Engine in Charlestown Ma. Steve's has quite a few commercial Cursors they take care of. The Boston Fire Dept. boats and some others.

Owning either a Cummins, FTP NEF or other as far as long term reliability is knowing how to set the engine up, exhaust design that doesn't allow the engine to swallow water, propping,, religious maintainence of the SWAC system, clean fuel, keeping salt water off the motor etc. ect.ect.

Engine components fail and parts are needed and service guys if the repair is over the owners head. Right now I can't see a reason to be turned off buying a FPT marine engine.

FWIW,

Bill D

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
One last note and Peter Emerson can explain this better than me.

The NEF 6.7 370,420,450 Tier IIs (http://www.mshs.com/pdf/brochures/FPT/NEF/FPT_N67-450.pdf) are no longer produced. There are 8-10 available @ the Ft. Lauderdale distributor.

The engine that FPT has been producing since the beginning of 2013 is the Tier III NEF 6.7 400, 500 with a commercial rating @ 3000 rpm.

From what I have received for price quotes (without haggling :D) for "similar engines" with the same gear say a ZF 280A, elctronic gauge panel and mechanical controls as a package........figure:

FPT NEF 6.7370,420,450 @ 3000 rpm Tier II is +- $39,900

FPT NEF 6.7 400,500 @ 3000 rpm Tier III +- $43,900

Cummins QSB 6.7 @ 3300 rpm Tier III +- $44,900

Comparing apples to apples for a state of the art 6.7 Tier III engine the FPT NEFs and Cummins QSBs are similarly priced.

Pick your engine !!

FWIW,

Bill D

Beamie

Commander
Bill,

In 2008 I went to a party and tour at that shop. Very big. Mostly all Euro people in the shop. Basically that big facility was established to cater to all the cruise ships going into Port Canavral. They service all the big medium speed heads etc. and turn them around between voyages. Top notch facility. The beer was good too.

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
One last note and Peter Emerson can explain this better than me.

The NEF 6.7 370,420,450 Tier IIs (http://www.mshs.com/pdf/brochures/FPT/NEF/FPT_N67-450.pdf) are no longer produced. There are 8-10 available @ the Ft. Lauderdale distributor.

The engine that FPT has been producing since the beginning of 2013 is the Tier III NEF 6.7 400, 500 with a commercial rating @ 3000 rpm.

From what I have received for price quotes (without haggling :D) for "similar engines" with the same gear say a ZF 280A, elctronic gauge panel and mechanical controls as a package........figure:

FPT NEF 6.7370,420,450 @ 3000 rpm Tier II is +- $39,900

FPT NEF 6.7 400,500 @ 3000 rpm Tier III +- $43,900

Cummins QSB 6.7 @ 3300 rpm Tier III +- $44,900

Comparing apples to apples for a state of the art 6.7 Tier III engine the FPT NEFs and Cummins QSBs are similarly priced.

Pick your engine !!

FWIW,

Bill D
Hello Bill,

Just to clarify, the NEF 450 6.7L engine family will continue to be produced and built but for Europe only as this engine would need the same upgrades as the NEF 570 to meet emissions in relationship to ECU hardware, and injection components. So it makes no sense to go through the certification and cost to do so for an engine that would be similar to the NEF 570 when we have the 450 rating for the NEF 570. So FPT decided to not continue that program and focus on the next generation for the time being with the NEF 570 for the N.A. market. Furthermore, there are a lot of other mechanical hardware upgrades to the NEF 570 which make it more mechanically robust for the higher torque and power settings. These are not incorporated in the NEF 450 6.7L engine family as they are not necessary for the lower ratings.

Thank you Bill for stopping into MSHS and taking the time to write this for everyone to see here! I look forward to speaking with you more in the future.

Regards,

Peter

Top Bottom