AB Aluminum Inflatable

putherinthecorner

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Vinnie Cavanaugh
I just bought a new AB Inflatable, aluminum rigid bottom. It is unfinished aluminum and I am wondering how and if I should paint the bottom with anti fouling paint? It will sit at my dock alot and half the time my dock is in the mud. I'm worried less about marine growth and more about galvanic issues. My first thought was to do nothing. Second thought was to apply Interlux Interprotect and then bottom paint. Third thought is just paint it with bottom paint. AB does recommend bottom paint. Wondering if anyone has experience with this.

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
If you use bottom paint Pacifica Plus was much better than Trilux II in my experience. It has to be copper free, not all bottom paint can be used with Aluminum boats/parts. I don't think bottom paint will help with any electrolysis issues. Best thing for that... is to not introduce dissimilar metals.

ArchHibb

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Five Islands 35 w/Cat 3116
I’m on my 5th season with my AB alum. RIB which spends most its time in the water with short-but-frequent “outings” when loaded onto the mothership. Never bottom painted. Next to no growth and no corrosion or galvanic issues at all.

IIRC, the bare aluminum develops a protective oxidation layer.

Last edited:

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
I’m on my 5th season with my AB alum. RIB which spends most its time in the water with short-but-frequent “outings” when loaded onto the mothership. Never bottom painted. Next to no growth and no corrosion or galvanic issues at all.

IIRC, the bare aluminum develops a protective oxidation layer.
The oxidation layer has nothing to do with electrolysis or marine growth far as I know. It does have to do with corrosion.

bigG

Lieutenant
I just bought a new AB Inflatable, aluminum rigid bottom. It is unfinished aluminum and I am wondering how and if I should paint the bottom with anti fouling paint? It will sit at my dock alot and half the time my dock is in the mud. I'm worried less about marine growth and more about galvanic issues. My first thought was to do nothing. Second thought was to apply Interlux Interprotect and then bottom paint. Third thought is just paint it with bottom paint. AB does recommend bottom paint. Wondering if anyone has experience with this.
I'm curious, where did you find an AB? I'm looking for an AB 8UL Lammina.

Top Bottom