Acadia 25 rudder post

pdrheat

Ensign
First Name
Paul
I just purchased a 1996 Acadia 25 with a 4 cyl Yanmar diesel. Taking on some water. Have closed sea cock and checked all tru hulls. Suspecting the rudder post, but can't see it as the fuel tank is surface mounted on deck above rudder. Has anyone had a problem with rudder post packing if there is any and how did you fix? Will be calling Tom at Atlas Boat Works next week, but figured I'd check here. Thanks, Paul

pdrheat

Ensign
First Name
Paul
Thanks, but no easy access. I have had a few boats through the years with easy access to the rudder post. The Acadia 25 has a deck mounted fuel tank at the stern dierctly above the rudder. Looks like solid deck under the tank. Tank is full with 60 gallons so I'm not going to try to remove it now unless the builder says this could be the cause of my water leak. Atlas Boat Works is the builder and still active so I will call them on Monday. Thanks for your reply, Paul

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
If they actually built a boat that has no access to the rudder packing which requires routine maintenance, I'd like to know what they were smoking on top of all those resin fumes. I know of someone who bought a brand new 42 Silverton and later determined that the batteries could never be replaced! They were built into the boat!

Last edited:

pdrheat

Ensign
First Name
Paul
this manf. has been around for a long time. I am sure there is access under the fuel tank, but want to be sure before removing tank. They answer the phone so will call on Monday. Was looking on this forum for someone with the same boat & problem. I am far from a first time boat owner.

ARC

Captain
Boat Make
31’ eastern Casco Bay
It’s going to take you a long time to reduce the tank weight by running. I would get some jugs and off load it half way. You can then unbolt it and slide it forward. No matter what the builder says , you should inspect the rudder. Sounds like it’s never been done.

Kailua Kid

Captain
Website
www.gibbonslawgroup.com
Boat Make
General Marine 26; Klamath 19; Sparkman & Stephens Yankee 38 sloop
I just purchased a 1996 Acadia 25 with a 4 cyl Yanmar diesel. Taking on some water. Have closed sea cock and checked all tru hulls. Suspecting the rudder post, but can't see it as the fuel tank is surface mounted on deck above rudder. Has anyone had a problem with rudder post packing if there is any and how did you fix? Will be calling Tom at Atlas Boat Works next week, but figured I'd check here. Thanks, Paul
Before you go too far on this, it seems like making another attempt to determine where the water is coming from, at least generally is in order. Can you wipe dry all reachable areas of the bilge, then with a very good light watch to see what direction the water flows in from? If it is coming from the stern, and there are no through-hulls there but only the rudder post, well, that would confirm your suspicion. Also, does the water come in always, and at a steady rate? I ask because I recently found a leak (on our sloop) that only made water when the engine was running. It turns out the leak was a crack in a fitting below an exhaust baffle but above the waterline just below the baffle in the overboard exhaust discharge tube. The water was sooty, because it was mixed with exhaust, but given the limited access and visibility down in that area, I had not noticed that fact (my tri-focals are not so good when upside down and sliding down the end of my elongated snauz). Before partially emptying the tank (great idea) and sliding it out of the way, etc., I would try to confirm the seep is likely through the rudder post packing gland. If the access to the rudder post is that poor, no surprise the maintenance of that packing gland might have been overlooked. Please let us know what you find.

Top Bottom