Adjustable Sun Visor

chortle

Captain
Boat Make
Herreshoff Coquina, 1972 Jarvis Newman 36, PT11
Anyone out there use an adjustable sun visor inside your pilothouse? I routinely run up a congested creek in the summer with the sun shining directly in my face and especially in the evening before sunset it is very difficult to see. Even with sunglasses and a baseball cap I end up zigzagging a bit too far right or left to avoid looking directly into the sun and the bright reflection off the water. My friend with a small plane has an adjustable, tinted visor that he can easily move to solve a similar problem. I found a suction cup ram mount version that seems like a good idea and another one designed to hold a laptop, both are fairly reasonable prices ($30-$35 each piece) compared to the airplane versions that cost several hundred dollars each. The individual components are available online through RAM so this could be customised for individual needs.

suction cup mount with RAM ball mount

lens clamp for a RAM mount only $13.49 so you could use whatever size smoked plastic you have

flexible mount for a RAM mounted laptop in a car

OLD BAY

Captain
Lite User
First Name
Eric
Boat Make
Wasque 32, Shelter Island 38

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
That visor is a good idea, and I like what Blitzen mentioned. I am going with clear front windows on my project for night time running, but realize that sun is an issue as well. I've had my eye on these mylar shades for future consideration when the time comes. A friend has them on his boat and they are nice. Custom cut to your application. Similar to what Blitzen posted.

Mylar Archives - Metro Marine Design Associates

Top Bottom