Advice and direction on what tender is best

midpinesrich

Ensign
First Name
Rich
New to this thread and appreciate any advice on which hard tender is best? Our requirements:
  • 12 or so feet - ability to row or motor with 2 people and 2 large labs
  • lightweight and rows nicely with great trackability
  • ability to sail
  • can handle a 2-4 hp outboard
  • Classic lines, preferably fiberglass that will look like a proper wooden boat
  • Will be hauled on a freedom lift on our sabre 48
  • not interested in a rib for a variety of reasons
We found the Pt. Defiance tender via Gig Harbor Boat works, which checks all of our boxes, but seems ridiculous that there isn't something comparable on the east coast and I'd frankly rather support my friends in New England. We also found the Chaisson Dory from Cottrell Boat - beautiful and proper...but can't sail her and I'm worried about maintaining a wooden boat.
Any advice and manufacturer would be most appreciated.

Sleepwalker

Lieutenant Commander
I have a Dyer like this without the daggerboard. Easy to row. Classic Rhodes design. Capacity is no problem but I think you'd have a full boat with the 2 dogs.

midpinesrich

Ensign
First Name
Rich
Johannsen Boat works has been making a boat called a Trinka for years. Unfortunately, it appears that they may not be in business anymore, even though their website is up and their phone has a message....but no luck yet on any kind of response, email, or call back. Does anyone have any experience with them? Or know if they're still making this sweet little tender?

novivin

Captain
Fatty Knees, or the largest Puffin with sail kit. Fatty has a great name, plus looks cool and is built really stout. Puffins are pretty rugged too, but lighter. Fatty Knees are like a Trinka. Little pricy, but very nice. The Jarvis Newman is the best rowboat.

midpinesrich

Ensign
First Name
Rich
I just heard back from Johannsen and in fact Mark has retired and is looking to find a buyer for the Trinka. He stopped producing about 1 1/2 yrs ago. Anyone interested in buying those molds and reproducing same should contact them in Vero Beach, FL.

Sleepwalker

Lieutenant Commander
Check Craigslist for them too. I've seen them listed here in the NE.

Top Bottom