Advice and direction on what tender is best

midpinesrich

Ensign
First Name
Rich
New to this thread and appreciate any advice on which hard tender is best? Our requirements:
  • 12 or so feet - ability to row or motor with 2 people and 2 large labs
  • lightweight and rows nicely with great trackability
  • ability to sail
  • can handle a 2-4 hp outboard
  • Classic lines, preferably fiberglass that will look like a proper wooden boat
  • Will be hauled on a freedom lift on our sabre 48
  • not interested in a rib for a variety of reasons
We found the Pt. Defiance tender via Gig Harbor Boat works, which checks all of our boxes, but seems ridiculous that there isn't something comparable on the east coast and I'd frankly rather support my friends in New England. We also found the Chaisson Dory from Cottrell Boat - beautiful and proper...but can't sail her and I'm worried about maintaining a wooden boat.
Any advice and manufacturer would be most appreciated.

Sleepwalker

Lieutenant Commander
I have a Dyer like this without the daggerboard. Easy to row. Classic Rhodes design. Capacity is no problem but I think you'd have a full boat with the 2 dogs.

midpinesrich

Ensign
First Name
Rich
Johannsen Boat works has been making a boat called a Trinka for years. Unfortunately, it appears that they may not be in business anymore, even though their website is up and their phone has a message....but no luck yet on any kind of response, email, or call back. Does anyone have any experience with them? Or know if they're still making this sweet little tender?

novivin

Captain
Fatty Knees, or the largest Puffin with sail kit. Fatty has a great name, plus looks cool and is built really stout. Puffins are pretty rugged too, but lighter. Fatty Knees are like a Trinka. Little pricy, but very nice. The Jarvis Newman is the best rowboat.

midpinesrich

Ensign
First Name
Rich
I just heard back from Johannsen and in fact Mark has retired and is looking to find a buyer for the Trinka. He stopped producing about 1 1/2 yrs ago. Anyone interested in buying those molds and reproducing same should contact them in Vero Beach, FL.

Sleepwalker

Lieutenant Commander
Check Craigslist for them too. I've seen them listed here in the NE.

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
Your list of requirements reminds me of a story (almost everything does)
Many years ago my kids worked at a boatyard near Hyannisport. Someone called from Squaw Island looking for a dinghy "light enough that Eunice Shriver could pull it up on the beach and tip it over AND strong enough that Arnold Schwarzenegger could row it"
The salesman said to my boys, lets load up this thing that we haven;t been able to sell for years and rush it over there. They put it on the pickup racks and off they went. When they got there the salesman says "make it look like it is light as a feather" when we unload it. They start to lift it down when all of a sudden the salesman screams out and falls to the ground clutching his lower back. Needless to say NO SALE

Wescustogo

Ensign
Puffin's are the best, great stability and tow well behind a boat. Hamilton Marine sells them here in Maine in two lengths.

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
The Whaler Squall is a cool boat and a good sailor but it is so heavy and it glides so nicely, it wants to come through your transom when you stop. I have a Puffin 8 which I bought as an empty shell. I've had it for years and it has stood up well. Rows great. OK with a small motor, good carrying capacity (2-200# adults, 2-kids, & large dog in calm waters).

IMG_8640.jpg

Top Bottom