Advice on ballast

Ebornstein

Lieutenant
I need some advice on adding ballast to my Duffy 31. It is a bit bow heavy ( not sure why ) and I was think of adding some ballast to the stern. I think I need about 600lbs and was thinking of using lead bars.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Eric

DBM

Commander
Lite User

Ebornstein

Lieutenant
DBMS,
She was built in 1998 by Atlantic. She does not have a windlass or any rode in the bow. She is kept in Lake Erie so I suspect the problem is there is less buyouncy in fresh water which causes her to sit on her lines funny.

I want to put a windlass on so it is only going to get worse. So I am going to need to do something.

Eric

jnoon

Lieutenant Commander
DBMS,
She was built in 1998 by Atlantic. She does not have a windlass or any rode in the bow. She is kept in Lake Erie so I suspect the problem is there is less buyouncy in fresh water which causes her to sit on her lines funny.

I want to put a windlass on so it is only going to get worse. So I am going to need to do something.

Eric

I wouldn't think the freshwater would change the angle that the boat lays in the water. The reduced buoyancy should be consistent so that the entire boat may sit lower in the water, not just the bow. I agree with DBM, I would try to find the reason for the bow heavy attitude before adding the ballast.

Curmudgeon

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
44' Stanley, 40 Webbers Cove, 19 Ocean Pointer
The difference fore and aft between the center of flotation and the center of gravity will cause a trim change along with sitting deeper due to freshwater allowance, but it would be minimal.

Ebornstein

Lieutenant
It's not really bad but I know it will be getting worse when I add the windlass. I have attached a picture of her sitting on her lines.

image.jpg

carey

Lieutenant
Boat Make
36' Custom BHM, Flye Pointe Marine
Great question!!! How do we determine proper distribution of weight? Is it just a matter of how she sits at the dock, or is it so hull specific that we must use moveable ballast and do speed trials until we come to the final determination? Is a Downeaster better off stern heavy? I would think so, but I am truly not a naval architect.

Ebornstein

Lieutenant
That's a good idea googinater I am not sure there is enough room in the stern for a tank. The fuel tanks run fore and aft one on each side. I might be able to get a bladder in there.

lobster783

Lieutenant
Just change the water line.:D Does is ride low when underway or just look bow heavy at the dock?

Ebornstein

Lieutenant
Now that's a great idea. You are right that I don't really need it. Usually fishing for walleye and steelhead. Not alot of need for live bait in the lake:sad:

I am ok using lead i have to figure out how to fasten it down so I can remove it later. I have heard of folks using steel shot I think.

carey

Lieutenant
Boat Make
No need to fasten it, as it won't likely move around. At least through the investigative phase.

Robert M

Captain
Boat Make
2000 Genral Marine 31 duffy Hull
I would recommend the drums also. I have the same hull my motor weighs aprox 1600lb and a 350lb gen on my deck. I believe we both have a built out down below, head , fridge , , besides a windless w/ 50' chain etc,

Last edited:

Ebornstein

Lieutenant
Lobster783, I don't think she handles poorly under power but I am not sure if it could ride better. I get some standing water in the cockpit which I suspect is a result of her being bow heavy.

Carey
Right I would just lay them in there until I get the trim right.

Ebornstein

Lieutenant
Googinater thanks for the drum idea.

Robert M. The galley is up, no windlass (yet), just bunks and a head below. She is powered by a 200hp tamd 41 which weighs in at 1100lbs.

What year is yours? Does it sit on its lines properly?

carey

Lieutenant
Boat Make
I can't help but think that the lines are not a good reference, as they likely only relate to the original paint job, and not a scientific equation. Just a thought.

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
So your saying with the stanting water the deck crow pich is off not the wait you could re pitch the deck keep the wait off the boat in turn keeping the speed up fuel burn down but a go size project to do

Robert M

Captain
Boat Make
2000 Genral Marine 31 duffy Hull
Googinater thanks for the drum idea.

Robert M. The galley is up, no windlass (yet), just bunks and a head below. She is powered by a 200hp tamd 41 which weighs in at 1100lbs.

What year is yours? Does it sit on its lines properly?
Launched end of 2000
I have a cummins 6cta 430hp. Up front, there's a head with sink. Fridge , sink, windlass. I think she sits on her lines well , and the bow rides up , and is a dry boat. Two barrels on the back deck would be worth a try. You could mark them to keep track of optimal weight.

Last edited:
Top Bottom