Advice on building a storage bench

Saltydoc58

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Robert
Boat Make
Ellis 28 Yanmar 6LPA STP 315HP, Parker 1801 Yamaha F115
Planning to add/build a seating storage bench to the port cockpit to better suit our needs.

The bench will be "under the hood" and not directly exposed and will measure approximately 28" wide and 68" in length.(Wider or longer not an option)

For early planning purposes:

To keep in budget and to my skill set more toward wood- I was considering marine ply with teak or cherry trim.

What size plywood-1/2 or 3/4"?

Would you seal or epoxy the wood prior to assembly and final paint job?

Paint with Awlgrip or just exterior marine paint?

Brass screws?

Just getting thoughts together for with this project thanks.

. boat3.jpg

LadyMaureen

Captain
Boat Make
Wesmac
Definitely 3/4 material not 1/2. I would use either divinycell or coosa / penske. Nida core another option. Try not to use plywood if you dont have to.

Saltydoc58

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Robert
Boat Make
Thank you for your reply.

My marina neighbor has a dock box he made of marine plywood that he epoxy coated and painted and repaints every so often....its 25 years old and lives outside in the elements and looks great. Obviously my box would be more finished and teak trimmed in appearance. Curious of the concern with marine plywood if properly sealed. I see it being used to build cabins and superstructure on this forum, correct?

I just checked the price for a single sheet of Coosa....wow. May need to consider other options as that would put me over budget for other projects if not entirely necessary.

Saltydoc58

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Robert
Boat Make
PS If not for managed care I would have be in a Wesmac lol! Always loved those boats.

LadyMaureen

Captain
Boat Make
Wesmac
There is nothing wrong with using plywood but if you intend to put screws into it ( for trim or hinge purposes) you are creating a potential waterlog liability. Plywood is relatively cheap but also heavy. Every time I look at the few places I let myself use plywood I have regretted it. Not because it doesnt work, but because I wished I had not used it.

Saltydoc58

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Robert
Boat Make
Ok good advice… tx.

ArchHibb

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Five Islands 35 w/Cat 3116
I have a pair of stern benches that are constructed like a typical stile and rail door; solid mahogany frame and top with plywood infill panels, so the lid hinges screw into solid wood, not plywood. The ply is 1/2” b/c it’s curved, but everything epoxied, painted and varnished makes it strong and durable.

Charlotte

Lieutenant
If you seal the edges well with epoxy, the plywood will be fine. Put it up on some starboard spacers to keep it dry.

Fishnjess

Captain
I built a seat of plywood L bench style. I might scrap them, and spend the money for a nice piece(s) of 5/4 hdpe and do it right. It is a little more in price, but really better and maintenance free.
By the time you buy the ply, do the filler, glass it, and gelcoat…….you might be more expensive then the plastic.

Top Bottom