Airmar B60 Tilted Element

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Wharfrat from precision sold me one and it will go to a NSS7 if I ever get it done.

Was his recommendation for my recreational use. requires a BIG hole. 2 1/2 or so.

Duke

Commander
Lite User
Boat Make
Dyer 29

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
I have installed many. They are great, and most likely perfect for your application. They require a 2 3/8 hole saw. They come in 2 angles. 16 and 22 degrees. Most DE will require the 16. Simple install, self explanatory really. Do yourself a favor and throw away the neoprene gasket that comes with it. I do like to install a block on the inside of the hull, it gives a better sealant surface and lets you crank down on the nut better. A little piece of mind when you are cutting a big old hole in your boat. The 1kw requires a 4" hole. I guess anything will work for the block, but I just glass up a piece of plywood.

Duke

Commander
Lite User
Boat Make
Dyer 29

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
Better definition on structure (good for lobstering, bottom fishing), but not as good at marking fish (many will argue, and that's fine, but its still the truth). It separates the targets too much and makes them real fine. Many feel you are losing targets that will still show on standard sonar. My 2 cents are this - Chirp is the future, but not perfect yet. If you are interested in picking apart structure go with chirp. If you are going fishing, get the B60. Down the road, the mounting hole is the same, if they get chirp to the next level, swap it out. Just a tip - don't install with 5200 if you ever want to get it out in one piece. I use Boat Life LIFE SEAL. Not to be confused with LIFE Caulk (which I hate).

bellboy

Ensign
insight

I just installed a 1040xs Garmin on a 25 parker with a b60 transducer last week. He called this week raving about it! Claims he was marking bottom at 2200 ft! He replaced a ray marine c120 with dsm 300 sounder. I've installed a few 840xs also but have not had any feedback on them yet.

Wharf Rat

Marine Electronics 'Professional'
Forum Sponsor
Website
www.precisionmarinecenter.com
Boat Make
OPB
Just as a heads up, the Airmar tilted element transducers come in 12° and 20° degree versions. The 12° model is suited for 8° to 15° hull deadrise, and the 20 for 16° to 24° hull deadrise. Also, be weary of using the CHIRP ducers when fishing in shallower waters, it's a a very narrow beam angle which does limit the amount of water column coverage although it can operate in much deeper water. Also, all 'CHIRP' sounders are not created equally, CHIRP has become a buzz word in the marketing world for anything other than a traditional dual frequency sounder. Think of it is as the 'HD' nomenclature that has permeated the marine radar market, which is applied to every radar now that is ethernet enabled, and has nothing to do with the DSP associated with what a true High Definition system would provide.

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
Sorry about that, I thought the shallow angle handled up to 16 degrees. My bad. That being said, it is still the one used in most DE installs, unless it is mounted way fwd.

DBthal

Lieutenant Commander
Coverage

While digging into transducers for my new boat (Eastern Sisu 22), I found an iPhone App that compiles all kinds of info about Airmar transducers. The App is called "iNstall".

One section of the App has a bottom coverage calculator for the various Airmar transducers. At 50' water depth, here is the coverage of the transducers being discussed:

B60 41' @ 50kHz, 11' at 200kHz

B75M 21' - 14'

So, there is a difference in area covered.

Dan

eztbone

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Holland 38
b60

I have one in my Holland. works great. hooked up to garmin gsd 22 and 4212. check amazon. believe it or not they were cheaper than my marine electronics wholesaler. I think it was $190.

Top Bottom