Alaska Fish Wars on NatGeoWild tonight!

5akman

Commander
Website
www.alldrinsalmon.com
Boat Make
40' Snowball gillnetter
We changed fisheries from a shore based gillnet fishery to an offshore "drift gillnet" operation this last year. I opted to hire a skipper to run the boat for me while my son, his buddy and myself acted as "crew" on our own boat and learned the ropes without damage to life or limb!
smile.gif.pagespeed.ce.xM_f3u022S.gif

I had bought an older 40' boat and had replaced everything, engine/trans/fuel tanks/electronics/3 station steering-engine controls/hydraulics etc and didn't get to try any of it before the producers said "get it in the water, now!" As expected, we had some new component issues that will be empasized!

Six episodes beginning tonight on Alaska Fish Wars on NatGeoWild, 7pm pacific time. Returning skippers/boats are Gavin on the North Crow, Wes on the Night's Edge and then two new boats, Taylor on the Nedra E and my boat the Night Hawk and hired skipper Dino.

I'll be doing an after episode review each night on our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/#!/fvnighthawk

Lance Alldrin
Alldrin & Sons Alaska Salmon
Chico CA/Kenai AK
FV Night Hawk
https://www.facebook.com/#!/AlaskaFishWars

Alaska 2013 049.jpg

Alaska 2013 027.jpg

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
Thanks for the heads up on the show. I'll def be checking it out.

Oh and nice engine!!

5akman

Commander
Website
www.alldrinsalmon.com
Boat Make
40' Snowball gillnetter
I was advised to not get the 435hp but the shop I had do the R&R told me the only way that I'd get on the water by June 21, 2012 was to do a Cat to Cat swap, not Cat to 8.3 Cummins. I canceled the 8.3 order and got the big 3208. Tony Athens said prop it like a 375hp and it will last forever so that is what I did. Engine didn't get installed until Sept 2012 so I missed the entire season of fishing that year!

IMAG0083.jpg

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
I was too. I have the 3208t(320hp) I was a little surprised to see thats the motor your running, but i guess if you dont run her hard, like anything else then it will give you a good effort. Good luck with the rig and the show.

5akman

Commander
Website
www.alldrinsalmon.com
Boat Make
40' Snowball gillnetter
I had worked 18 straight 16 hr days trying to get everything operational. It was July 5th and the production crew said, you've got to have this thing on the water! High tide was at around 4am the next morning so we launched with nothing more than a 10 second engine start while up on the hard. Issues shown in this first episode were fuel related first off. I installed a FloScan unit and Tony Athens fuel filter system so I either have a leak within the plumbing through these units or are there hoses under the valley pan/inj pump cover that can get brittle?

The other issue was that the install shop had removed the hard cooling lines going to the gear cooler. I hadn't realized this until we started spewing coolant and found both ends of both lines finger tight or less. We tightened up , topped off the coolant and we're back in business. I later looked at some pics taken at the time of install and realized there was a picture with the coolant lines sitting on the galley table so they had reinstalled but not tightened them up!

Editing was factual in that I filled up with $800.00 worth of fuel and only caught 37lbs of fish. Worked most of the big bugs out! Stay tuned for more however! :)

5akman

Commander
Website
www.alldrinsalmon.com
Boat Make
40' Snowball gillnetter
Hi Brian,
It was decent alright. Lots of minor issues turned into mild drama but that's what its all about! Wes for the most part held his tongue unlike last year. Taylor/Nedra E have some crew issues but otherwise all is well. You might check the NatGeoWild website in a few days to see if the most recent episode is available online.

Hows the boat construction?

Kaiser

Lieutenant Commander
I watched it. It was cool. I liked the one guys money jar for swearing. I need one of those.

Man the sound of that 3208 brings back memories

5akman

Commander
Website
www.alldrinsalmon.com
Boat Make
40' Snowball gillnetter
Don't know how many of you watched last week but it was embarrassing. Lots of engine issues and only $83.00 worth of fish caught vs $1800-3600.00 off the competitors boats. I have not seen the editing but I hope we fare better tonight! Catch us on NatGeoWilds "Alaska Fish Wars". The season premier episode is on at 9pm eastern time tonight followed the second episode at 10pm eastern.

www.facebook.com/fvnighthawk

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Just set the dvr for both episodes. Thanks for the heads up

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Lance- I enjoyed the first episode, it's pretty cool the rest of the country gets to see the fishery we participate in. I thought it was hilarious when you were turning over your engine at the dock, and it wouldn't start, and they edited in some old mercruiser outdrive with a dented up prop, as if that was your prop- hilarious. Then your boat fired up, and they edited in that same old outdrive and the exhaust coming out and the dented prop spinning up. I'm like, who thinks Lance's boat is powered with an old outdrive? If the show is going to cut to an underwater clip, at least make it believable. So tell us, how well does that mercruiser transfer the torque of your 3208TA? Other than that, the show seemed accurate and the scenery is beautiful. Good luck tonight, I hope you guys get into some fish in this episode :).

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Sounds like reality TV. Accuracy be damned if they have some stock footage that might work.

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
I would have shown the exhaust coming out of your dry stack when the Cat fired up (we called the exhaust Kitty Litter)- 'course that would have offended the environmentalist wackos. :)

Last edited:

5akman

Commander
Website
www.alldrinsalmon.com
Boat Make
40' Snowball gillnetter
I've found that with a 1350 driveline coupling my 435hp engine to the stern drive, I can get about .5 mile before the thing self destructs! :) I know, they patch different clips together, not realizing that there are lots of folks viewing out there who know what they are looking at! All in all, we are happy with the show and America gets to see how their seafood is caught with a bit of drama! We did "up" the catch a bit over the first days total of 37lbs!

I'm posting a bit of info on our Facebook page www.facebook.com/fvnighthawk so please "like" the page as we're having a bit of friendly competition amongst boats/skippers for the biggest following. So far, Capt' Dino is spanking everyone else!

levidossak

Lieutenant
Boat Make
27' Jefferson shrimper/F/V Sonny Boy 1968 Rawson/ Wanting a DE
I'm thinking about converting over to an outdrive. The Night Hawk moves through the water nicely.

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
I'm thinking about converting over to an outdrive. The Night Hawk moves through the water nicely.

You mean Night's Edge... the bowpicker with the twin outdrives. What engines does the Nights Edge have? I'm assuming twin Volvo diesels.

I just went to their website, it has twin big block gassers with Mercruiser Bravo 2 outdrives. No wonder he goes through the fuel.

Last edited:
Top Bottom