Albatross Fleet

Grey Area

Ensign
Hi Everyone,

While new to the forum, and though from the midwest, I've always enjoyed reading of and admiring
DE boats.

Numbers are important, but sometimes the eye is overwhelmed with the beauty.

fleet4.jpg

fleet2.jpg

Splinters

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Egg Harbor
Does anyone know who the builder is? The look like they are Wimbrows.

Brainey

Captain
First Name
Bill
Boat Make
43' Atkinson
Petrel will likely know but I think they were built by one of the OBX old-timers, Warren O'Neal or Omie Tillet?

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

Dr Dude

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
Fortier 33 , McKeeCraft 28

Dr Dude

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
Fortier 33 , McKeeCraft 28

Grey Area

Ensign
The first one of the Albatross fleet was built in 1937. It cost $805.
The owner was Ernal Foster who collected all of the wood and found a builder to construct the boat to his (Ernal) design.
The book " Hatteras Blues " by Tom Carlson has info on these boats, the family ownership and blue marlin fishing in the not so old days off of Hatteras.

Yes, and here is an early photo of the first Albatross and a LINK to the same and history.

pasted%20image%20600x373.jpg

hatterasser

Lieutenant
Boat Make
33 uniflite (old capt gig), 26 shamrock, 15 skiff, 21 beach dory
When looking at the albatross in the yard I always have to admire how much entryshe has, looks like it goes forever. The ll&lll too but not as pronounced.during wwll the navy requisitioned her and was using it for boozing down in morehead city , cap'n ernal went and got her back.he was beside himself when they repowered with diesels a few years back

Regulator23

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
32 Holland
That is an outstanding overview. I find the vision of some people very inspirational. What a great story and history. Thanks for posting

gary49

Lieutenant
Boat Make
34' Mainship I
They are not cross planked, have frames and longitudinal planking--1 3/4" on the III, all are built out of Atlantic White Cedar AKA Juniper. All are glassed on the outside. They are great sea boats, semi-displacement like downeast boats, hard chined and do have keels. Capt. Ernie cruises the III at 18 knots, although she does start to wander at 16 knots. Very fuel efficient, the III uses only 60 gallons or so on an all day charter out of Hatteras. Check out the outriggers, they are bamboo and more than 50 years old--they work great. I've been out on several charters with them-good outfit to fish with.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Been out to sea a lot lately. The albatross boats are different. Core sound boats but w/ a rounder bottom and the round stern. They are very efficient, but they will roll the lard out of a biscuit and w/ the hp they have now they can go fairly fast but they will work the hell out of you on the wheel in a following or beam sea. But they will also take a breaker pretty well on the stern if up have to come back in the inlet at low speed. If you can work the deck on one of these on a snotty day, you've got your sea legs and if you can run it stern quarter as fast as you dare, your arms will be in good shape too. They are pretty graceful old boats, but you can see why charter boats evolved when you get to know them.

gary49

Lieutenant
Boat Make
34' Mainship I
Yeah, it does seem like the guy at the helm gets a workout. I once told Ernie that when the anthropologists found his bones some centuries from now, they were going to wonder what kind of slave he had been. None of them was designed to go nearly as fast as they can go with modern diesel power. On the other hand, you can back down on a big fish at 8 knots and still have a dry cockpit. Mighty pretty boats to behold, though and they still get the job done--the newest one is over 60 years old!

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Yes, they are good old boats, and it is nice that they are all still working. Good point about backing down. Back in the day they did double duty as commercial boats so the round stern was good for hauling nets by hand and of course coming in the inlet slowly w/ a load. While I would not care to run one day on and day out, I'm still glad I got a chance to work on them some and run the Albatross II a few times.

8943post

Commander
Boat Make
33 Duffy
Here's 10-year old photos of the Oregon Inlet charter fleet, most are single engine rigs. You need a hard-core boat to fish those waters off Hatteras.

4,2005,not printed2 022.jpg

4,2005,not printed2 018.jpg

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Yeah, Oregon Inlet is the real deal; the bar goes on forever and it seems like there is almost always some sea there most of the year. And you'd better know where the water is (don't rely on the buoys) and which bridge span to cross under, as that changes periodically. There are many days you don't even consider going out of there. Hatteras Inlet is usually easier to deal with, but it can get you puckered up at times. Helps to have a boat that can come in straight and fast. No keels to speak of on those, of course.

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
Great pics, There was a 46 jarvis newman down there named Cap n B that i went and looked at years ago(around 15) for sale it had a single 8v92, then repowered w a Iveco.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Have you seen the Cap'n B since she was made to look like a Carolina boat? I think she has a Daewoo for power- a Korean V10 MAN.

Top Bottom