All things Chum

MAArcher

Captain
Anyone have a cheap recipe for lots of chum? A source for bulk cat food maybe?

$15,000 is more than I need: 8000 pnds of frozen mackerel & crab - general for sale - by owner

But I'm wondering what's the cheapest chum for shark fishing you can get before you have caught yourself a bunch of bait fish to grind up yourself?

Also wondering why no one makes a 12v grinder that you could stick in a rod holder and just toss macs and pogies into it and have it spit them right over the side?

It would be nice to not have to do this in the back yard:
My dog would get into every stinky bit I spilled and track it into the house.

Soundownsam

Lieutenant
First Name
Sam
You can always go inverter to garbage disposal if you want to grind chum right on board.

sam

Ripcat

Commander

$15,000 is more than I need: 8000 pnds of frozen mackerel & crab - general for sale - by owner

But I'm wondering what's the cheapest chum for shark fishing you can get before you have caught yourself a bunch of bait fish to grind up yourself?

Also wondering why no one makes a 12v grinder that you could stick in a rod holder and just toss macs and pogies into it and have it spit them right over the side?

I have a couple buckets of frozen shark chum from years ago that i don't ever intend to use. It's just taking up space in my bait freezer. You can have it but it would be pickup, Seacoast NH. I'll even give you my recipe if you come get it.

Ripcat

Commander

I have a couple buckets of frozen shark chum from years ago that i don't ever intend to use. It's just taking up space in my bait freezer. You can have it but it would be pickup, Seacoast NH. I'll even give you my recipe if you come get it.

MAArcher

Captain
I'll contact you as soon as I get my bait freezer cleared out. Its filled to the brim right now with venison that went bad (real, real, bad) when we lost power. Have to figure out the best way to get rid of it.

MAArcher

Captain
Use

Use it for coyote bait
That was the plan, but its all vac packed and removing all the plastic would be an olfactory nightmare. I'm thinking its so rank that coyote may not want anything to do with it anyway. I should have been throwing it out a bucket of packages each week all winter but I didn't, so I'll have to do it over the next few weeks. Trash guy is gonna wanna murder me.

Ripcat

Commander
I'll contact you as soon as I get my bait freezer cleared out. Its filled to the brim right now with venison that went bad (real, real, bad) when we lost power. Have to figure out the best way to get rid of it.
I do not envy you in the task ahead...good luck! Curious....I have 4 buckets of frozen chum. My response to you above led to another individual reaching out who will take whatever you do not want, and he'll take it this weekend. I have no issue holding on to some for you until you get the space cleared out. Would 2 buckets be fair and then i can give 2 to this other fella? I really just want it all gone. Let me know....

MAArcher

Captain
I do not envy you in the task ahead...good luck! Curious....I have 4 buckets of frozen chum. My response to you above led to another individual reaching out who will take whatever you do not want, and he'll take it this weekend. I have no issue holding on to some for you until you get the space cleared out. Would 2 buckets be fair and then i can give 2 to this other fella? I really just want it all gone. Let me know....
If he can take it all and get it out of your way right now, go ahead and do that, no problem and thanks for asking! I’ll still take your recipe though!

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

Soundownsam

Lieutenant
First Name
Sam
That was the plan, but its all vac packed and removing all the plastic would be an olfactory nightmare. I'm thinking its so rank that coyote may not want anything to do with it anyway. I should have been throwing it out a bucket of packages each week all winter but I didn't, so I'll have to do it over the next few weeks. Trash guy is gonna wanna murder me.
When I have bait that goes bad i head to the launch ramp and cut the packages open under water, dump the contents, and rinse the bag before I get it above the surface. This keeps most of the stink at bay. make sure there is plenty of current so there isn't a pile of rotting meat when the tide goes out.

Sam

SemperFishBoston

Commander
Boat Make
AJ26 Duffy
Generally my options are Hand chum some bait, tie off some carcasses, or head to channel fish in east Boston for 4 gal buckets of frozen chum (left over shit from there assembly line) it all works.

sims frozen bait in rowley used to be great but they are closed now.

54ADC2D0-E8C3-4413-B494-0F1AA407EF41.jpeg

87B57989-EA32-4718-9C1D-CB04AE4A3299.jpeg

Gavix14

Ensign
I have had this a while, I may have used it once. I dont have any of the attachments for the grinder, or the rod holder attachment anymore.
Someone make me an offer. Pretty heavy to ship, if you want me to mail it you will have to cover the shipping too.
Located in Westbrook CT 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

leaky

Vice Admiral
Chum basics:

You can't get better chum than you can make yourself.

It isn't really expensive to make good chum compared to buying good chum (believe one brand name is tournament master - is a decent commercial chum but still isn't as good as homemade).

Crappy chum often doesn't work that well - although I have seen blue sharks following a petro oil slick, typically anything other than something a shark would eat isn't a good strategy. What that means is not rotten, real fish, oily fish, sure you can add some artificial bling like glitter but you do not want crappy chum that is comprised of say ground up groundfish carcasses or rotten fish matter. Menhaden oil is another thing you can spike your chum with, but the basics are most important...

Sooooo making good chum: The obvious simple way to do it today, because of what's around, is net or buy yourself some really fresh pogies, get them pretty cold before you start or even a little frozen, then run those things through a grinder into a container of some sort (5 gallon bucket, 1 gallon bucket, trash bags, whatever) then drop those containers into a cold ass chest freezer. Fresh or even frozen herring if they are not rotten are also just fine, mackeral just fine, bluefish - oh boy that's the best, add a little whatever like striper here and there if you have them, some bluefin if you have it, but basically fresh oily fish is best.

One method I settled on was making 1 or 2 gallon chum blobs in the corner of a trash bag tied up. Then you put those in a 5 gallon bucket that's all nicely setup with holes drilled in it for use on the water. So basically we would leave the dock with a cooler full of frozen chum blobs in bags, on the water we throw one in the 5 gallon bucket until it's not spooling out so well anymore, then we add another etc.. etc.. That method makes it so you have a cheap container to freeze your chum in that doesn't take up much space when emptied and you aren't dealing with so many buckets all the time - just one square bucket with holes and another round one that it fits into for adding another block in there (so you aren't spilling chum all over the deck when messing w/ the bucket).

Top Bottom