Alternative to Yacht Enamel $ for interior

tburke

Lieutenant
Time to re-paint the inside. All cabin and pilot house surfaces are fiberglass mat painted 30 years ago with likely an oil-based enamel. I want an off-white semi-gloss or satin. The surfaces are mostly out of the sun.

1) is there a less expensive alternative to marine oil-based yacht enamels at $90+ a gallon? Water-based possible? Over painted fiberglass.

2) if I do have to buy an oil-based yacht enamel, can it be tinted reliably at a paint store so I can duplicate it if more is needed in the future?

Thanks

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

cb34

Rear Admiral
interior paint

Use a good exterior oil enamel Ben Moore makes a real good product.

slingblade

Lieutenant
I'll with El Mar on this one...I've used rustoleum with a brush with outstanding results going on 4 years looks like day I did it. Get it anywhere too.

slingblade

Lieutenant
You got it. I used the quart sized cans got if from hardware store. Ace is the place!

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
Zinzzer sp? (owned by Rustoleum) Mildew Proof House Paint BEST stuff ever.
Sticks like glue, water based, mildew will NOT grow on it, no primer needed, comes on 3 glosses, tintable, no fumes, $30./gal. I could go on. It does take a week to fully harden but it dries in 45 min.
Accept no substitutes.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Call me crazy, but I would have used gel coat 30 years ago and just done it once. I know, I know. It was already painted when I bought it, who owns a boat that long, I'll be dead in 30 years, etc. etc. You're all correct. :D I have heard good things about the Rustoleum. But I like the mildew proof approach suggested by Brooksie. Like bathroom paint, it remains clean of mold and mildew but is more durable.

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
Call me crazy, but I would have used gel coat 30 years ago and just done it once. I know, I know. It was already painted when I bought it, who owns a boat that long, I'll be dead in 30 years, etc. etc. You're all correct. :D I have heard good things about the Rustoleum. But I like the mildew proof approach suggested by Brooksie. Like bathroom paint, it remains clean of mold and mildew but is more durable.

Zinnzer make the bathroom paint too; so I called them and asked what the actual difference was between the hous and bathroom versions. UV inhibitor in the housepaint... that's it. So you can the use the housepaint for everything, even bathrooms.

tburke

Lieutenant
Very encouraging ideas. Found; Zinsser® PERMA-WHITE® Mold & Mildew-Proof™* Exterior Paint. Water-based would be easier but I wonder about acrylic over un-primed oil enamel.

Have you ever used this over latex?

Thanks very much

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
Yes, I have used it over both enamel and latex, sticks like glue (as I said) never any problem with adhesion. As with all paints, if the base isn't stuck on good, the finish won't be either.

Top Bottom