Aluminum bracket different bottom paint?

Jamato14

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Jim
Boat Make
23’ Palmetto Custom CC
Might be a silly question, and not something I thought of when I bought the boat since I boat it as a trailer boat but using it 3-6 days a week from April-Nov isn’t fun launching/retrieving when half that times alone. Boat has an aluminum Armstrong flotation bracket and I keep it on a mooring. I put it on a mooring mid way through last season and bottom paint from previous owner was in decent shape so didn’t do any painting. After pressure washing/sanding when I pulled it I need to paint the bottom this year. Can I use the same paint on the bracket as the hull? Have heard/read mixed things and first time doing it so want to make sure I don’t do anything to ruin the bracket. TIA for any info

jweir

Lieutenant Commander
Lite User

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

Captlvb

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.missbarnegatlight.com
Boat Make
235 Kencraft
Here is what I did about 17 years ago and it has held up well.

1. Stripped the bracket to bare aluminum. Sanded it down with 80 grit.
2. Petit tie coat primer - 6627
3. Overcoat with Interlux Trilux 1st coat red paint, 2nd and 3rd coats your matching color to the hull. Idea here is whe I see red I overcoat with fresh ablative paint.

Has held up very well except for the one time cooper based paint was used (not me :))

Jamato14

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Jim
Boat Make
23’ Palmetto Custom CC
Thanks all for the information, picked up some regular bottom paint for the hull and aluminum paint for the bracket today, appreciate the information

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
pacifica plus had given me better performance than Trilux. IMO, the whole boat should be painted in the copper free paint. I know some of the outdrive manufactures recommend a stand off of a certain distance. But, that sounds like too much work, just pain the whole bottom in compatible paint.

Jamato14

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Jim
Boat Make
23’ Palmetto Custom CC
pacifica plus had given me better performance than Trilux. IMO, the whole boat should be painted in the copper free paint. I know some of the outdrive manufactures recommend a stand off of a certain distance. But, that sounds like too much work, just pain the whole bottom in compatible paint.
That’s interesting, I haven’t heard that yet but mines an outboard on a bracket so not sure if that makes a difference. I won’t be cracking the paint cans until next weekend so will continue to research and exchange as needed. Thanks for the information, glad I asked I like hearing as much info as I can

south shore

Captain
First Name
Nick
Boat Make
25 Northern Bay
1 inch tape line from bracket or engine to bottom paintsides and bottom
Just leave gelcoat surface an wax it like the hull or use copper free in that area also.

Top Bottom