Aluminum mast - couplings

Discussion in 'Downeast Projects and Boat Building' started by CEShawn, Feb 8, 2019.

1. CEShawn

CEShawn Captain

USCG Chief Engineer, Motor & Gas TurbineUSCG First
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    RP35
    So some of you know that I cut down my mast to get my boat to my house. Best thing I ever did, because working on it at the house is a dream. I can tell you I will not buy a boat that I can't keep at my house and vice versa, told my wife that. Even a marina 10 minutes down the road was a pita. Thankfully my wife allows it.

So I have a couple of solutions going back, one is to just SKIP the large mast I have is definitely funky, but I dont have to be worried about being a sporty when I pull into a place lol.

Second one is to use the couplings and just WELD them back together. Granted, what do I do next year, can't keep cutting and going.

Part of me wants to entertain coming up with a solution to have them removable. Part of me wants to MIG them on one side and find a way to join the other, granted, aluminum has no good options in a sense. I know we do this with small towers all the time but looking for some idea's.

Was a little bothered because I did try to turn this project over to professionals, but they didnt seem to interested in it, hell I wouldnt be.

Anyone have any inputs here? BTW the real coupling would be more like 6" not this short one. Ive added some pictures so you can see what I am dealing with here.

Lastly, coming up with a whole new option is there too and more likely than not...

Attached Files:

2. TAftw

TAftw Senior Member

Weld some aluminum pipe flanges to it and bolt it back together

3. Backnaction

Backnaction Senior Member

Holy mast! Is there some genuine reason for the scale of it?

steveinak likes this.
  4. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Retired
    Could not agree with you more!

5. Yesac13

Yesac13 Senior Member

Giant hinges? Look at sailboat mast companies in general, they make lots of stuff that is applicable. One I know is good is Dwyer Aluminum Mast Company. I have one of their hinges, it's nice. The link shows just the hinge alone, you need to add a step to the top. If no right hinge is available, get a good stainless steel guy to make a hinge? Good luck.

6. Toolate

Toolate Captain

Building contractor
    Boat Make:
    1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
    Put a tube inside it and weld it in place so the removable piece just slides over it then cross a bolt through. Tough to take on/off though I like the hinge idea.

7. CEShawn

CEShawn Captain

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    RP35
    Brian - When she had a huge green stick maybe there was a need, but now, just for show. Something I really liked, because I kept moving the lights higher and higher and liked it! It just looks bad ass in my book, also was lifting bluefin over the side with it...

Flanges - when I get up to 3-5" aluminum pipe, normal flanges became hard to find and uncertain what I was buying. I thought about just using some 1/4" plate and making home made flanges but wasnt certain. I think I was also caught up on the welding on the underside, not 100% comfortable there with MIG, not that good.
    Hinges - need to look into this not sure...

Toolate - Might be perfect, totally overthought putting it in the inside, only was thinking outside, how I got that pipe. I have to see if I can get the right size pipe to go on the inside, going on the outside was easy at metalsdepot. I do wonder if I just got a coupling and used 2 long bolts all the way through is that strong enough... Im not worried about the tough to take on and off because I have it cut at the top and the bottom. Somewhere I have a nice sheet of it here, all my pipe sizes, length and how I wanted to do it.

Backnaction and Toolate like this.
  8. CEShawn

CEShawn Captain

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    RP35
    I found this today, this is why I like that huge mast... Tell me this isnt bad ass!!! God I love my boat...

Attached Files:

Islandlure and El Mar like this.