Aluminum Mast Paint Removal

ArchHibb

Admiral
First Name
Charles
Boat Make
Five Islands 35 w/Cat 3116
I just went thru this exercise this past Spring. Powdercoating can be “sorta” repaired, but not really, not like paint.

I primed with System Three Silvertip yacht primer, faired surfaces, then brushed 3 coats of high gloss enamel engine paint fairing in between, then sprayed the final topcoat.

1CD275C5-5027-4336-BB4B-333751FAEA56.jpeg

F67E4141-7135-47C8-B22B-20B1F86403E2.jpeg

Pitou

Captain
First Name
Kevin
Boat Make
'06 Albin 31 TE
I just went thru this exercise this past Spring. Powdercoating can be “sorta” repaired, but not really, not like paint.

I primed with System Three Silvertip yacht primer, faired surfaces, then brushed 3 coats of high gloss enamel engine paint fairing in between, then sprayed the final topcoat.

View attachment 145476

View attachment 145478

Your mast came out really well. After stripping completely down to bare aluminum, how did you prep it before applying the System Three Primer? I may follow your lead on this. Thanks

Pitou

Captain
First Name
Kevin
Boat Make
'06 Albin 31 TE
Your mast came out really well. After stripping completely down to bare aluminum, how did you prep it before applying the System Three Primer? I may follow your lead on this. Thanks
Found this in their Application Guide - Aluminum: Apply a wash, or etching primer according to manufacturer’s instructions. Allow to cure and then apply SilverTip Yacht Primer.

ArchHibb

Admiral
First Name
Charles
Boat Make
I did a complete wipe down with acetone, twice. Waited 5 mins. to ensure it was completely dry, then started brushing on primer. Sanded 120/200/400, then applied paint. When I saw how smoothly it laid out, I went all OCD and added some touch-ups w/ the SilverTip followed by sanding between paint coats. Ended up with a thick, glossy finish that looks like powdercoat, but is paint that can be repaired.

TAftw

1st Mate
Blast, prime, paint, and be done with it. This was some industrial coatings that I shot onto this radar mast. It’s not as fancy as Awlgrip but it will last for years and can easily be touched up if you need to. Awlgrip would lay down flatter, have some more shine and be prettier, the only difference is cost of the paint.

BDCB676F-954D-4392-95ED-EA877AFB34C0.jpeg

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

Pitou

Captain
First Name
Kevin
Boat Make
'06 Albin 31 TE
Kevin, Mill. specks say After stripping A stainless steel wire brush must be used then the product has to be painted within 8 hours. If not then it has to be re buffed again before coating. (Any kind of coating) The same process before welding. I use to have to go through that all the time.
Thanks, Don ..
I may seem to some to be extra cautious on this, but after what happened with the last paint job, I just want to be sure and get this right.
With the help from this thread, I'm starting to lean toward stripping and finishing this myself.

ArchHibb

Admiral
First Name
Charles
Boat Make
Thanks, Don ..
I may seem to some to be extra cautious on this, but after what happened with the last paint job, I just want to be sure and get this right.
With the help from this thread, I'm starting to lean toward stripping and finishing this myself.
DIY is time consuming because most of the surfaces are curved so applying even pressure with abrasives, scrapers, and brushes (paint) can be challenging. However, many blasting & paint shops are backed up weeks & weeks. Chip away at this in your basement or garage and you’ll be done before you know it.

leaky

Admiral
A poly wire wheel does an incredible job at prepping hard to reach places.

Top Bottom