Aluminum???

ChesapeakeHooker

Lieutenant
Boat Make
May Craft
Do any of you have experience converting Marinette type aluminum cruisers int work boats? Or do you know of a link you could refer me to.

ahiboatworks

Lieutenant
are you looking for someone to do the conversion or information from someone who has already done a conversion?

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Might be a stretch here; not too many aluminum downeasters.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
No, I was talking about the Ches. Bay deadrise boats that Latitude likes so much. Those are bay boats. Don't even know what a Marinette is. Probably about as downeast as a Luhrs, LOL.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
If you are looking for a fiberglass lobster boat, you have come to the right place. About the only aluminum fabrication going on here is probably towers, masts, fuel tanks and so on, but maybe there is someone here who can help you. It's a pretty diverse group.

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
I can tell you that if aluminum has been around salt water, depending on the grade, it can be difficult to weld. I have a acid that cleans well into the pores of the alloy and makes it work better than just grinding. It can be found at any welding supply.

eyschulman

Commander
Boat Make
Devlin 48 & Marshal Sanderling
If you are interested in AL work boats you have to look to the Northwest US and Can BC, not the East. There are many places in northwest where AL is king and many builders. All types of AL work boats small and large are everywhere on this side of the rocky Mts Why AL? Its light-It's tough-It's low maint.-It's easy to clean with a power washer-It's easy to mount stuff on fasteners or weld-If you know what you are doing its easy to build a strong high performance durable boat unfortunately not as good looking as a DE.

Top Bottom