Amesubry Skiff

Discussion in 'Skiffs and Small Work Boats' started by Raider Ronnie, May 2, 2014.

1. Raider Ronnie

Raider Ronnie Banned

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    BHM 28
    Could someone tell me, is Amesbury & SturDee Skiff one in the same ?
    Possibly some years only as I've seen CL adds say SturDee/Amesbury or Amesbury/SturDee ect..... Or one company coppied the other and call them SturDee type skiff or the other way around ?
    Thanks in advance

2. BOSBoatMan

BOSBoatMan Captain

Boat Make:
    1992 Nauset Bridgedeck Cummins 6BTA & 1995 GW Escape 175 Yamaha & 2013 Carolina Skiff J12 25 Yamaha
    Well basically the Amesbury skiffs were/are built at Lowell's Boat Shop and are wooden, very traditional too.

The Amesbury Skiff by Lowell's Boat Shop, hand built wooden boats since 1793

The Sturdees are built in Tiverton RI and are all fiberglass except for the rub rail and the seats. Both are lapstrake, both are same sizes. I would assume Lowell's started it and Sturdee followed suit with fiberglass...

And there's another one even rarer than the wooden Amesbury's called Strathmore I actually had one, same thing fiberglass on wood a little beamier than the Sturdees.

doug hill likes this.
  3. Raider Ronnie

Raider Ronnie Banned

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    BHM 28
    Ok thanks.
    I've been keeping any eye out for a 12 or 14 ft SturDee for a reasonably price.
    Don't want wood as it appears Amesbury's are all wood.

4. Numasahake

Numasahake Captain

Retired, dammit
    Boat Make:
    Dodge Stationwagon
    Those are nice rowing boats. Many years ago, I took a mold off a 12' wooden one. Built a couple for local fishermen. Their complaint was, it keeps getting stolen, because it rows so nicely. The first one I built got entered in a rowing race in SW Harbor, Maine and won 1'st place.

5. sailor of fortune

sailor of fortune Captain

Tug Boat Captain in New York
    Boat Make:
    2 Home made skiffs
    "Those are nice rowing boats. Many years ago, I took a mold off a 12' wooden one. Built a couple for local fishermen. Their complaint was, it keeps getting stolen, because it rows so nicely. The first one I built got entered in a rowing race in SW Harbor, Maine and won 1'st place."

Are you sure your talking about Amesbury skiffs? those are not meant to be rowed. Wide flat transom for outboard.

6. spygull

spygull Member

I suppose the Stur Dee 12 would row OK but I can tell from personal experience the 16s are a pain in the ass to row. They run great with an outboard though. Lowell builds a sweet rowing skiff, I've used them at Skytop Lodge in the Poconos but they are pricey. The dory shop up in Lunenburg NS builds a nice little rowing dory If you want to take a ride up there. I had a 20 footer built there years ago when Lawrence Allen was still operating the place and I used it for tending our duck hunting lay out rig. with a 15 hp outboard in a well.

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  7. cobia23

cobia23 Senior Member

What are you looking to spend? I have been considering selling my 14' There's a few pictures of it on here somewhere

8. oldshell55

oldshell55 Captain

fisherman
    Boat Make:
    BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
    John Dory

don't forget "john dory" I'd say pretty much the same , with lower sides, I like the sturdy, had a 16' w/ 25hp went well , but you feel everything

9. PlumIs

PlumIs Member

Boat Make:
    32 H&H
    Amesbury Skiff

The "Amesbury" skiff was an evolution of the traditional rowing dories used on schooners. Many years there were several small boat shops in Amesbury along the Merrimack River that specialized in making dory and skiffs. Lowell's boat shop is the only one left.

As you are probably aware dories are virtually doubled ended. The 1st evolution was a lapstrake skiff that was smaller than a dory and the stern was slightly wider than a dory stern but still similar in shape. They rowed very nicely. As outboard motors came along the skiffs were given wide flat transoms and the boats were given more beam. Those were not very easy to row.

When fiberglass came on the scene several companies made copies of the "Amesbury" lapstrake skiff. Sturde boat in RI was one, There was another one called John-dory. There may have been others that copied the basic design.

One of my first boats was a 12' wooden Amesbury skiff. It is long gone at this point. I still have a John-dory 15'.

10. Toolate

Toolate Captain

Building contractor
    Boat Make:
    1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
  11. oldshell55

oldshell55 Captain

fisherman
    Boat Make:
    BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
  12. Numasahake

Numasahake Captain

Retired, dammit
    Boat Make:
    Dodge Stationwagon
    The one I took the mold from was 12' long and had a flat bottom. Tom Morris at Morris Yachts had the wooden on, called it an Amesbury Rowing skiff. It rowed very nice, would get up on the flat bottom and plane with a good rower, not a fat bastard like me. I built one for Tom and a friend of mine. Morris Yachts may still have it, as they used it as a tender.

13. capt38

capt38 Member

Hey Ronnie,

If you want a rowing skiff the 12' is a ok boat. If you want an outboard the 16' is an awesome boat. Much more room and very stable. We use it to get to our moorings and for river cruising. We have the side console with a 25 hp 4 stroke Merc. A little bow light with one person, but fixed that with a hydro foil.

14. eztbone

eztbone Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Holland 38
    Sturdee

I have a 12'. I love it but could use a 14' as I use it to get out to the mooring with the wife and 2 kids 3&5 and sometimes two labs sketchy. If you are going to buy check the transom (plywood) mine delaminated and floor (balsa), bad repair. I'm in the middle of replacing the bottom. Good luck

15. Scout25

Scout25 Member

Attorney
    Boat Make:
    Flowers Boatworks
    R-R - The 16' Sturdee-Craft Amesbury will row but it takes some effort. It's a great motorized skiff and very stable, but the flat bottom tends to make it slap in chop. Its also too heavy to pull by hand when you forget to watch the tide. I just picked up a peapod for tending Daisy so I could be persuaded to sell mine (2007 w/ 25hp Tohatsu 4s) to the right home. Its such a great skiff that I may mothball it for when the kids are older. Good luck.

16. skyeboat

skyeboat Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Coastal 27
    FYI, Stur-Dee Boat made hundreds of boats in in plywood a long time ago...in the '60's, I think. They transitioned to fiberglass after that . The boats are still very true to the original working-skiff concept, and it is still a family-owned business . They are solid boats.

17. Sparky 103

Sparky 103 New Member

Hi ..I am replacing the floor in a 16 sturdy boat ...should I use all glass or put something between ???

18. cobia23

cobia23 Senior Member

You’ll need to put some type of core down for the deck, you’d need a lot of glass and it still probably would be as stiff as with a core. I used marine ply when I did my sturdy. You could use a composite if you want it to last forever and don’t mind the up front cost.