Anchor for 32' BHM ?

TwoRivers

Lieutenant
Boat Make
BHM Flyepointe 32' 1989
What size and type anchor do you guys reccomend for 32' BHM used on river with sandy bottom ? A little confused about holding pounds,rode,etc.
I have been looking at Danforth but don't know what size I need.
Thanks
Two Rivers

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
35 lb Danforth ,make sure you have a length of chain so the Danforth will set.They need to be held down to set quick,so chain is a must.We used Danforths in a pinch when we were stop seining,and when you throw them over boards with a strain on them they fly out of the water like a set of wings.I use a stock anchor,but they are hard to find .

Last edited:

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Two Rivers,you could use a 22 or 26 danforth TYPE anchor...i use 40 lb Super Hooker anchors

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
^^^^^ on the Bruce, i have a 33lb Bruce and 3/8 chain and have been in blows where it was blowing a steady 50 with williwaws(gusts in the opposite direction) over 100, anchor held well in a night of terror !!! Only anchor i would ever use. The Bruce stays dug in when spinning in circles and on tide changes.

Last edited:

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I've posted this several times but sometimes I feel like the West Marine anchors just aren't right. They never seem to want to grab. Its funny because I then put on my Super hooker and no freaking problem. I even tried compensating with more chain and it was so so with the WM brand.

A night of terror with gusts up to 100...

I held one day during 50kt gusts for about an hour and man, that was daylight and waves never had time to build, scary... can even imagine at night, must have been a long one...

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
I've posted this several times but sometimes I feel like the West Marine anchors just aren't right. They never seem to want to grab. Its funny because I then put on my Super hooker and no freaking problem. I even tried compensating with more chain and it was so so with the WM brand.

A night of terror with gusts up to 100...

I held one day during 50kt gusts for about an hour and man, that was daylight and waves never had time to build, scary... can even imagine at night, must have been a long one...

Started to blow just before dark wasn't too bad till the williwaws started sounded like a train coming down the mountain then would slam into the boat and blow me sideways till the slack came out of the anchorline and the boat would snap turn up into the wind. I sat up all night staring out the window like a mental patient even though it was pitch black out and pouring rain, never shut the engine off all night. My buddy was further up from me and the zodiac kayak he had on the roof had blown off and was sticking straight out on its tie down line and spinning straight out :lol: 2 boats around the corner from us sunk that night.

Tuna Pursuit

Rear Admiral
Website
www.oliverwelding.com
Boat Make
Thunnus
^^^^^ on the Bruce, i have a 33lb Bruce and 3/8 chain and have been in blows where it was blowing a steady 50 with williwaws(gusts in the opposite direction) over 100, anchor held well in a night of terror !!! Only anchor i would ever use. The Bruce stays dug in when spinning in circles and on tide changes.

I have had shit luck with danforths. Everyone uses them but I have had problems. The super hookers are good but they are heat treated high carbon steel so the shank flexes and that gives it the holding power but very pricey. Also people tend to use to heavy of a rode. The rode needs to stretch like an elastic rather than transfer the jerking to the chain/anchor. 3/8'' is perfect up to a 34-35 footer IMHO.

DBM

Commander
Lite User

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Holy Crap!!!. I would''ve needed 4 pair of underwear. was that forcasted? We have thuderstorms down here on the Chesapeake that will blow 70 knots for an hour maybe, and an occasional huricane that will blow but each of those are either fairly avoidable, or predictable.

BTW, On our 31' We use a big danforth, don't know the size that holds well in sand and a 22lbs. claw type (bruce copy) that holds in mud. It really depends on the bottom type, but for sand, i'd stick with the danforth.

Good luck,

DBM

The 50 was forcast but the williwaws were a bonus :razz:

eyschulman

Commander
Boat Make
Devlin 48 & Marshal Sanderling
anchors

Practical Sailor magazine a consumer oriented organization has been testing anchors for years. Some of the above disagrees with their findings. The people on this site may not be familiar with PS it is sail oriented. Sometimes talking anchors is like getting into religion with some folks so I won't make any specific anchor suggestions only suggest reading some of the PS test reports.

Top Bottom