Anchor Hauler - Hydroslave or Electra-Dyne?

sealaw

Lieutenant Commander
Okay – getting ready for this year’s winter project…purchase and install an electric hauler plate for the dual anchor setup.

We have pretty much decided on a 10 inch S.S. plate with ¾ HP 12v electric motor. The question has come up – Electra-Dyne – or – Hydroslave?

They both seem to make comparable units – the Hydroslaves are a bit more expensive.

Here is the Electradyne:

ED7500-10 XHD SS - Electra-Dyne electric trap haulers

Here is the Hydroslave:

Hydro Slave Pot Haulers

Does anyone have experience with either of these units? Or, better yet – experience with BOTH units that can offer a comparative review? Price not as important as performance.

FYI - the anchor setups are 13 lb. danforths with ~ 6 feet of 3/8" chain - the business ends total out at approx. 30-40 lbs. ea. - obviously will only be hauling one setup at a time.

Thanks to all in advance for your always-helpful input!

Last edited:

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
I've sold over 230 Electra Dyne's here in alaska to the pot shrimpers, they haul out of 100 fathoms mostly pulling 2 & 3 pot trawls of pots. So far nobody has been able to break one or have i had any complaints. Don't know where you are located but ED is in Plymouth, Ma go stop by and see how they are put together. I've looked at the Hydro Slave and they don't look as rugged as the ED's and that opinion is not because i sell them its from lobstering 25 years before i moved to AK.

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
electra-dyne has given very long service for me . had a hydo-slave electric and the motor was not as good. just don't dead load the motor, you'll burn it out quickly, it's not hydraulic. I did upgrade to a standard Hydro-slave fairlead, it has a 5/8" bolt and grease fitting ,you'll have to drill and tap, the electrdyne fairlead will bend and damadge the back plate. Also heavy cables will help it to last a long time, I use 1/0 g. they'll never get hot

Last edited:

sealaw

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks steve & oldshell - so far the ED has it - and it's the less expensive unit! Glad I checked...

oldshell - are you hauling pots or just anchors? Wondering if the load I will put on it will bend the stock fairlead - but it sounds like good advice and I always prefer to over-design anyway...

Should I buy direct from ED?

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
Thanks steve & oldshell - so far the ED has it - and it's the less expensive unit! Glad I checked...

oldshell - are you hauling pots or just anchors? Wondering if the load I will put on it will bend the stock fairlead - but it sounds like good advice and I always prefer to over-design anyway...

Should I buy direct from ED?

I pull pots with it mostly inshore , if you go deep it pulls a lot of juice and you have to watch your battery, pulling an anchor is no problem , just break it out of the bottom first, don't pull the boat to the anchor , like I said its not hydraulic but will pull your anchor up no problem. mine is 3/4 hp w/ 30:1 gear on a 12". try it with the standard fairlead and if it looks like its bending you can change it , hydro-slave fairlead is better, take all the stainless bolts out of the back plate and clean them twice a year, use anti-seize , stainless and aluminum don't do well together, buying direct will not save any money, I think she told me $1350 for the 12" which is up $100 from a couple of years ago. I actually bought it cheaper from a dealer

Last edited:

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
There was a price increase last year and the fairlead is a additional cost item. The retail price i have for the 10"EXD-SS is $1375.00 plus $43.25 for the fairlead. The last 10 or so units i have sold have had the 5/8 shoulder bolt for the fairlead so i think thats what they are using on all size haulers now. I'll try and call them to find out.
By the way i tell all my customers to wire with 4ga wire and to install a 100amp breaker in the line.

Last edited:

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
I pull pots with it mostly inshore , if you go deep it pulls a lot of juice and you have to watch your battery, pulling an anchor is no problem , just break it out of the bottom first, don't pull the boat to the anchor , like I said its not hydraulic but will pull your anchor up no problem. mine is 3/4 hp w/ 30:1 gear on a 12". try it with the standard fairlead and if it looks like its bending you can change it , hydro-slave fairlead is better, take all the stainless bolts out of the back plate and clean them twice a year, use anti-seize , stainless and aluminum don't do well together, buying direct will not save any money, I think she told me $1350 for the 12" which is up $100 from a couple of years ago. I actually bought it cheaper from a dealer

FWIW I bought the 10" SS 30:1 directly from Larry @ Electradyne. $1350 ish last year. Called in the order with a credit card and the hauler showed up UPS 3 days later.

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made
Top Bottom