Anchoring a Downeaster on a Wreck

Frigate

Captain
Boat Make
38' Duffy/Flower
Seeing MDI45's last picture in his 11/6/11 4:50PM +/- post in the Some DE Pics thread made me think. He said the pictures were from that todays blackfishing. The boat in the last picture is anchored up like it is tuna fishing.

Let me qualify what I am about to say. In 2000 and 2001 my better half did her masters thesis on blackfish on the Shinnecock Reef. For two years from May to November we fished for blackfish three weekends a month and on the fourth weekend she would dive on wrecks on the reef to collect samples from the wrecks and the bottom. She had a NYSDEC Collection Permit for 500 blackfish a year of any size and amount a day. We caught 400 fish each year.

There are two ways to anchor on the wreck. One is with two anchors and the other is by anchoring from the stern.

If all you are going to is wreck fish then the two anchor system is the way to go.

If however as with most of us, we do not wreck fish all the the time then anchoring from the stern is better than anchoring from the bow. The difference is when anchoring from the stern, you have a line between your stern cleats with droper lopes that your anchor line is tied to. This way you can move left or right with the wind and/or tide. You can not do this when anchored off the bow. Yes there are times when you will not be able to anchor off the stern when you can anchor off the bow. But if you are blackfishing and it is rough enough to had to anchor off the bow then the blackfish will not be biting on your baits going up and down. :eek:

During the two years of my better half's thesis we used a Danforth anchor. We did not lose it or bent it. :D

Last edited:

vman

Lieutenant
Frigate, absolutely agree wth you on blackfishing with two anchors. Here are a couple of shots of the bow pulpit I had on my 27 Osmond which I sold in April. :(

anchor rollers.jpg

Bow.jpg

Frigate

Captain
Boat Make
38' Duffy/Flower
Tashmoo2,

The line we use is tied to the stern cleats but has dropper loops every foot or so. You tie the anchor line to the dropper loops. This way you can move the boat a little or go all the way to the cleat to move the boat a lot.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
rollers

Hey vman,where did you buy those rollers...i would like to get something like that....i lost a 40 lb anchor blackfishing as you can see....ouch

IMG_0157.jpg

Last edited:

vman

Lieutenant
Got the pulpit and rollers from North Fork Welding in Greenport, NY. He makes up the rollers in his shop, welds two blocks together...Works great.

Capt. Rick

Commander
Boat Make
31 RP Willis Beal
IMHO, I would not anchor my boat from the stern. You would be facing your cockpit into the sea. Also, if you have funky wind against tide
situation, you can wind up with your anchor line wrapped up in the wheel pretty quick. Anchoring from the bow is the way to go. Double anchoring
is best bet for tog fishing followed by single anchoring. If you dont have an anchoring system, you can haul the anchors with a ball and ring from the cockpit. The use of a wreck anchor or graple has its place but only on the evilest of bottom when you have no other choice.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Capt Rick, i agree with you 100%...never from the stern....unless its flat calm and then maybe i would put a grapple hook to stop the swing

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 268 Islander, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

Frigate

Captain
Boat Make
38' Duffy/Flower
Thank you El Mar. On the south shore of Long Island, NY except very rarely we do not get any current fishing just off the beach. Once in a while when anchored on the Shinnecock Reef you may swing a little when the tide changes at Shinnecock Inlet a mile and three quaters to the north. There is far more current 65 miles off the beach on the 100 fathom line than at the Shinnecock reef.

Top Bottom