Anchoring and hauling an anchor alone on a DE?

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Hello ALL,

I may have asked a similar question to this one some time in the past.

I'm asking the question to "settle a dispute" :)D) with my son who at times runs the boat alone with his wife and youngster.

He's concerned about anchoring and hauling the anchor "alone" without a pulpit/windlass setup we have now on the Blackfin.

On my "virtual build DE" I will NOT have a pulpit/windlass or a bow anchor.

I envision having a 10" 30:1 ratio electric hauler, a davit/pulley and a cockpit controls positioned about 10-11 feet from the transom. (back of the house). I can use a light weight alumnum Fortress anchor..anchoring is for sandbars, river etc....boat is maybe 30 footer or less

Will it be possible for me or others (others meaning who know how to run the boat !! :D) using the boat solo to be able to anchor AND haul the anchor solo in say 30 feet of water or less ?

I'm pretty sure I can do it.

Responses, experiences, PICTURES of the process are appreciated...I'll pass on the link and photos to him !!

Thanks, Bill D

Last edited:

greg

Captain
You can do anything in calm still water, but anchors are a critical safety device. You need them to hold in bad conditions as well as good, and you need to be able to retrieve them in strong current and possibly sloppy seas.

And all of that without wrapping yourself up in your own petard. ;)

People do single hand even two anchors, but they always have a bow pulpit. The hauler can be in the pit, but you will need a pully or roller system to route the rhode back to the puller.

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
If its only 30 feet.. Do you really need anything?

Start your engine.. Put the boat in gear and idle up to the anchor. When you are right above it.. haul er in,!

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
I do it all the time Bill, i have a "riding line" from my bow cleat back to my hauler( i have it tied to the davit for storage), i pitch the anchor over back out enough line to hold cleat it off and get'er set then i tie the riding line to the anchor line with a rolling hitch let it come tight and cleat off the anchor line by the hauler. To haul back i run up the line a bit so i can untie the riding line, put the anchor line thru the block and on to the hauler and start hauling while steering boat up the line, when it gets straight up & down i either pop it out with the hauler or cleat it off and pop it with the boat then continue hauling it all up. I never want to go up on my bow when i'm by myself(99% of the time). This year i'm going to make the riding line 10' longer and leave the long end hanging in the water in case i ever go overboard i will at least have something to hang on to while figuring on how to get back in the boat. Come on up and i'll show ya how its done !!!

Last edited:

JDTOOM

Lieutenant Commander
I feel like where you anchor up is more important to how you anchor or retrieve. As long as the operator has a good feel for the tide and wind it no problem at all. Don't anchor up 30 yards from the rocks if the wind is going to blow you 40 yards in the time that it takes to haul in your anchor.

offshore31

Captain
Steve

Could you put a tuna door in, and leave it open at key times? Otherwise, a set of those steps you can bolt to the transom maybe?

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
Steve

Could you put a tuna door in, and leave it open at key times? Otherwise, a set of those steps you can bolt to the transom maybe?

Forget climbing out !!

He falls overboard in 50F water he'll most likely suffocate to death after his larynx/trachea goes into spasm or better simply have a myocardial infarction and drop dead. :oops::shock: Most of us older guys would !

Don't bother with the hangin lines or bolt on steps up there !!!!

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Forget climbing out !!

He falls overboard in 50F water he'll most likely suffocate to death after his larynx/trachea goes into spasm or better simply have a myocardial infarction and drop dead. :oops::shock: Most of us older guys would !

Don't bother with the hangin lines or bolt on steps up there !!!!

I figured when that cold water hits my balls i'll take a big gasp and suck in enough water to drown me anyway ???

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Thanks guys,

I'll forward these posts off.

Steve, for now, no plans to head up your way.

Has it warmed up @ all ???

Yup its been over 70 for the last 10 days, too hot now !! and the bugs are out in force !!

Capt. Rick

Commander
Boat Make
31 RP Willis Beal
What's wrong with a pulpit on a DE? Love mine, I can double anchor the boat by myself if need be. But then again we do a lot of wreck fishing trips.

Aug 1st Final Trip 030.jpg

July 4th 2010 trip 007a.jpg

Aug 1st Final Trip 032.jpg

July 4th 2010 trip 044.jpg

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made
Last edited:

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
Bill, shallow water is nothing to worry about. You can haul by hand or use your hauler with davit. Or haul with a polly ball for deeper water.
This is how I rigged mine and if it's hung down just cleat it off and break it free then continue hauling.

Portable davit made from EMT, stuck in a rod holder. I haul 100 fathoms for my mooring in anywhere from 25 to 50 fathoms depth. That pic. shows the line straight out because it's coming up to my polly ball.

No that's not me it's my mate. :D

"Easy Peasy" as Travis would say

Bingo,
btw, thanks all who commented on this post.
I knew anchoring and hauling an anchor was NO big problem alone on a DE.
Now my kid, well he looks for any excuse to keep the Blackfin !! ;)

Top Bottom