another core - 3D woven cloth

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
Just came across this, I cannot find it offered in US but interesting concept as a nida core alternative. Here is little blurb about it.

3D Fiberglass Fabric is a newly developed fiberglass braided fabric consisting of two bi-directional woven fabrics knitted together by vertical braided pillars. Two S-shaped yams combined form a pillar, which is 8-shaped in the warp direction and 1-shaped in the weft direction.
3D fiberglass Fabric can be made of glass fiber, carbon fiber or basalt fiber Hybrid fabrics also can be produced. The thickness of 3D fiberglass Fabric ranges from 3.4mm to 22.6mm and the width of it measures no more than 3000mm. Processed with resin, 3D Fiberglass Fabric gains an outstanding capability of anti-deboding, impact resistant, lightweight and high strength, thermal insulating and acoustic damping. 3D Fiberglass Fabric is often the first choice for many enterprises to manufacture framework members of automobile, locomotives, aerospace, ship, sports, wind generator construction, decoration,

Untitledddddddd.png

Untitledgg.png

Untitledll.png

Untitledrr.png

Untitledwwww.png

Untitledgggggggg.png

IMG_5306.PNG

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
Interesting. Wonder if it soaks up so much resin that it becomes overly heavy.
I’d like to know too Steve. I do like how it’s all glass and attached throughout. Cutting into it would be easier too not trying to scape out plastic bits

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Bill that is cool stuff.
When Dave went to build my hull he got an engineered layup schedule from a design firm and was told to use a new weave of glass that would save us a large amount of resin in the layup of the hull. All said and done we saved over 4 barrels of resin in my hull. The new weave requires less to achieve a complete wet out. The composite industry is moving along fast.

kcassells

Rear Admiral
Lite User

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Blitzen,
Was it this same fabric that you used. If so what kinda costs for just the glass and I guess you used poxy vs. poly? I don't see any mat in it.
No, we did not use the material that Bill had posted, I was just stating that we used a new weave of glass as well and that things are not the same as they used to be in terms of fiberglass. Old school woven roven and lots of resin are not how it is done any longer.

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
Bill that is cool stuff.
When Dave went to build my hull he got an engineered layup schedule from a design firm and was told to use a new weave of glass that would save us a large amount of resin in the layup of the hull. All said and done we saved over 4 barrels of resin in my hull. The new weave requires less to achieve a complete wet out. The composite industry is moving along fast.
Hey John that’s really cool do you know the name of the glass?

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Hey John that’s really cool do you know the name of the glass?
Bill I will find out from Dave. The weight of the glass is the same but the weave is different that makes more efficient use of the resin.

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
Bill I will find out from Dave. The weight of the glass is the same but the weave is different that makes more efficient use of the resin.
Interesting . I’m sure that will catch on quick

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
Did more research. It’s called Parabeam made originally in the Netherlands. https://parabeam.com/products

kcassells

Rear Admiral
Lite User

cobia23

Commander
First Name
Paul
Was thinking this was the same thing as C-Flex panels, but after looking it up again its looks very different. Interesting stuff!!

c1steve

Captain
Yes, that sounds like a great product. Saving 2,000 lbs. of resin on a 46' boat is Yuge. Look forward to hearing more about it.

Top Bottom