Another "what is it?" hull

Jangles

Lieutenant Commander
I'm looking around for a cheap runabout and came across this. It's described as 19' and I haven't seen it in person. Any guesses? I'm not that well skilled in identifying hulls yet. Want to know if it's worth a trip to look at. I think it might be an Eastern 18...

3re3Lf3s85Ib5K85q3d68593803cad69219a9.jpg

3G13s33Ja5Nb5L85t8d684cce51393f351397.jpg

Last edited:

Jangles

Lieutenant Commander
A bit more info found from a previous listing: Owner thinks it looks like an 80s era (how does he make that assessment??). More importantly, the previous owner replaced the transom and the HIN was lost, so it could potentially stay a mystery.

I'm still waiting to hear back and make a trip to see it. I'm leaning towards thinking it's a general marine. The square in the forward bulkhead and the angles at the rear quarter seem like clues.

Eastporter

Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
Seaway 19' ???

jojobee

Commander
General Marine 19 for sure. I forget how had the hull before that. I had the same boat

Jangles

Lieutenant Commander
As a follow up:

Looked at it today. Still not sure the manufacturer. The GM guess is still probably a good one.

Somewhere along the way the stringers, floor, and transom were redone. However, the transom is already showing flex cracks at the corners; of greater concern is the stringers. They are un-treated lumber run longitudinally, and at the time tabbed in - not encased. They are no longer secured to the hull. I could actually move them back and forth within the taco-shell glass work. There may not be lateral support either and the floor had significant give. I think it may have been 1/2" ply.

The hull was flexing fore-aft such that the skeg had curvature.

He said the previous owner was a fisherman who did the work with a boat-builder friend. I'm skeptical of how many boats this friend had built.

Overall a good project boat, as long as the buyer knows the work needs to be redone... properly this time. It's got a very nice galvanized roller trailer under it now and he only wants $1250, though after my assessment he would probably let it go for whatever the trailer cost him.

Top Bottom