antenna height / Lights

Discussion in 'Marine Electrical / Electronics' started by winterking, Sep 22, 2018.

1. winterking

winterking Captain

Going with Morad antennas, should I go with 2' extensions or mount directly to cross and call it good? Cabin height is 6 foot something, mast is 6', Also does it make sense to have one radio on a 10db antenna and another on a 6db? I'll be fishing 20-30 miles off the beach. Looking at deck lighting as well as forward lighting, I'm thinking durabright is out of my price range are their any other decent choices? I know theirs some threads on here that probably address these but I'm starting to go blind looking at the computer!! Thanks guys!

IMG_2254.JPG

2. Blitzen

Blitzen Captain

Ex Merchant Marine
    Boat Make:
    1991 Boston Whaler Outrage 19
    This is how Db affects the range and transmit area of the antenna. For longer range with a 10 Db antenna height is your friend. Remember VHF is a line of site communication. index.jpg

winterking and Keelboater like this.
  3. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    I like the idea of one on 10 db and one on 6 db.

Did you go with the Hot Rod ?

Here are some lights that work just fine. I have had two spots on mine now for 5 0r 6 years and still working. Purchased two floods some time ago but havn't installed them yet. Winter project. What i did was tape off the lens and spray them a couple of coats of Clear coat. The one that's on the bow often goes underwater but still working. The only other thing i did was to replace the steel Metric bolt for adjustment with Stainless 316 L.

marine 12 volt led lights | eBay
    They are down the page about 24 spots.

s-l1600.jpg

winterking likes this.
  4. steveinak

steveinak Captain

Boat Make:
    H&H / Pen Bay
    if you don't have to deal with bridges i'd put the morads on the big extensions mount from house roof to bracket on cross T on your mast, get'um up there. As for lights fleabay or amazon is your friend. Lots of cheap led options. The 2 i have on my boat light up the deck like daylight. The 24" led lightbar on the front of my truck has made 4 trips on the Alcan and still works fine. If i add any more lights on my rig i'm going to spray them with Plasti Dip to seal them up good. I'll see ya in october.

https://www.amazon.com/LEANINGTECH-...37628782&sr=8-1&keywords=12v+marine+led+light

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    winterking likes this.
  5. winterking

winterking Captain

Thanks Mud, I’m ordering on Monday, yes the hot rod, I think it’s the 156vhf.

Old Mud likes this.
  6. winterking

winterking Captain

Thanks Steve, the Alcan is surely a good test!!

7. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made

Yeah, better than the Ocean in many ways. :)

winterking likes this.
  8. xbskt

xbskt Captain

electrician
    Boat Make:
    28 Crowley Beal
    I really like these on my boat.

Pod - Light Shape - Lights | Rigid Industries

I can't remember the exact model but they are holding up real well and are very bright but not too huge and don't break the bank.
    I have two under the overhang for the cockpit and one facing forward on the mast. Just enough to pick up reflections on nav aids.
    I also splurged on a Durabrite mini and it lights up the whole town pier but yes, very expensive.
    Good luck

winterking likes this.
  9. steveinak

steveinak Captain

Boat Make:
    H&H / Pen Bay
    even has ground swells but they call them frost heaves !

winterking likes this.
  10. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made

I thought you were going to say Truch or Steamboat. :)

winterking likes this.
  11. steveinak

steveinak Captain

Boat Make:
    H&H / Pen Bay
    DSC_0139.JPG DSC_0140.JPG

winterking and Old Mud like this.
  12. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    In Canada they call them "Dips" :)

Hey i see a power pole back there. That's got to be below Ft Nelson ??

winterking likes this.
  13. steveinak

steveinak Captain

Boat Make:
    H&H / Pen Bay
    Somewhere between Haines Junction and the boarder if i remember right. I'll be on it soon on my way back there.

winterking and Old Mud like this.
  14. Kenneth

Kenneth Member

I had a set of these LED Spreaders in the cockpit and Underwater lights on my last boat and there were bright and held up well, Chris was always ready and willing to help with any questions. I have not priced them lately but at the time the prices were way better than other options, when the Dyer is ready for lights i will see what Chris has to offer.

CoastalNightLights.com

winterking likes this.
  15. Lion's Paw

Lion's Paw Senior Member

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    42 Duffy
    I have two of the morads on my boat. One is on the tall extension they have, the other on a short pole mount. Both seem to work well but with radio antennas higher is always better. With your mast you could mount on cabin top and antenna mast support on the cross T. Just figure out what the overall height would be and if additional cost of extensions and extra mounts worth the cost over just mounting on the cross T. Either way buy the heaviest best antenna cable you can find. The morad doesn't have cable on it and you run the cable all the way to the antenna and solder the connectors on the cable. Don’t forget to get the antenna mount adapter for the mounting method you will be using.

winterking likes this.
  16. winterking

winterking Captain

Thanks Capt Dave, just ordered everything today, including the adapter, two foot extensions, gonna go off of the T for now, I figure that gets me 14’ above the water, will see how I like it. Spoke with a guy named Rob at Morad, knew his stuff and was a pleasure to deal with, what a refreshing change. How’d you make it with the hurricane? Did you end up going north to Coinjock? Thanks again.
    Tom

17. plowin

plowin Captain

Firefighter/Half Assed Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    33' flowers
    I have been running a Morad for years out of the tower in my boat, 23’ off the water. You will love it, they are bullet proof!

winterking likes this.
  18. winterking

winterking Captain

Glad to hear that! I’m looking forward to it! Now to figure out what radio to go with? I have an old plain Jane standard Horizon that will become my backup, was thinking about standard horizon gx2200e, I think wharf rat mentioned those, I guess they’re ais capable. If you or anyone else has thoughts on radios I would appreciate it.

19. Lion's Paw

Lion's Paw Senior Member

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    42 Duffy
    I use two of the standard 2200 radios on the bridge with ram mikes in cabin station. The radio has a very stable gps built in they perform very well. The ais output can be seen on the radio or on any connected gps plotter. Hard to beat the features and performance for the price.

I did just fine in florence other than loosing two trees at the house. Did move the boat to coinjock as it looked like hatteras was going to get it before the turn south.

winterking likes this.
  20. winterking

winterking Captain

Glad things were not to terrible with Florence. Was wondering how things worked out, I guess their must be some hiding places up there in the intracoastal, I imagine they’re must of been a fleet of boats up there. Good to know about the radios, seems like that’s the direction I’m gonna go.
    Thanks again! T