Anti Freeze

November Rain

Commander
Website
www.novemberraincharters.com
Boat Make
43' Lowell
I have been using cat pre-mix extended life anti freeze for years. We just drained it all out to change all the hoses. I have heard from different people that the pre-mix (red shit) is bad for the seals and to use regular anti freeze and mix it. Any thoughts ......

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
Jill or steve, i have been using normal regular antifreeze, recommendation of tom atela, and have no issues what so ever. I have the 3208t cat. If this helps out at all

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
I have been using cat pre-mix extended life anti freeze for years. We just drained it all out to change all the hoses. I have heard from different people that the pre-mix (red shit) is bad for the seals and to use regular anti freeze and mix it. Any thoughts ......

If you have been using it for years without any issues why would you think it is bad? I had a 14 year old, 2000 hour 3116 and used ELC in it with out any problems. Not that 2000 hours is a lot but after 14 years I would think if it was bad for the seals something would have gone in that time.

I would like to know what you heard because I am using it today in my new engine direct from CAT.

November Rain

Commander
Website
www.novemberraincharters.com
Boat Make
43' Lowell
I'm with you,I have not had any issues as well. I was just curios if anybody else has heard the anything negative about it. There were a few guys in Montauk who told me it was bad for the seals. If it lasted 14 years for you that's good enough for me!

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
A few years back i had the heat ex changer acid dipped and cleaned, otherwise the motor is a 91 and still do "a" okay..

Pedlyr

Captain
Years ago, when CAT ELC was first used I thought it was malarkey. But I am a big fan of it and similar "organic" coolants. Use ELC "Extender" every couple of years and as long as you don't contaminate with water you will be trouble free.

We always call it "extra leaky coolant" because the organic stuff is slippery compared to older inorganic or "green" coolants. I have seen newly introduced ELC start leaks in older engines. Mostly because of rust and age. Not because of seals degrading.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom