Antifouling question

Bawugna

Lieutenant
This one may seem odd but I am striking out everywhere.

My Dad has a dinghy that is made of Polyethylene. I called Seahawk paints and asked if they had anytjhing that would stick to it. I was told no without some crazy heating process or something like that. Even with that they were sceptical.

Is there any company that makes a product that will stick? We considered using a Rustoleum plastic paint (which should stick) as a primer of sorts and then applying an antifouling on top of it. That is likely our last resort.

Does anyone have an idea?

chortle

Captain
Boat Make
Herreshoff Coquina, 1972 Jarvis Newman 36, PT11
Seahawk is correct, polyethylene and polypropylene are the two most difficult materials to bond or paint. Teflon is easier. Somehow, those nasty barnacles, slime and sea weed seem to make some sort of connection but it is a weak one. You should be able to wipe off the bottom every week or two and not have any functional issues with growth.

slingblade

Lieutenant
No expert but several years back had a 18' center console made polyethylene made by Triumph and there recccomended process was to scuff bottom with random orbital and then apply a product made by 3m called 94 primer. Came in a tiny can after sanded and wiped heated area with heat gun quick and then applied this primer. I then put a hard enamel on bottom if I remember correctly with some sort of ablative over that so you could tell when time to redo. It worked pretty good never did I see the white true hull but process was a pain . With it being a dingy shouldn't be too bad. Hope that helps a little bit.

Top Bottom