Any drone pilots on DBF? Any recommendations for a user friendly drone with a camera?

Vahn

Ensign
Boat Make
Stanley
Depends on what you might like to do most....Video, still photography, mapping, inspections, search and rescue, or just have fun with. Theres a lot of automation now, and all are pretty easy to learn your way around with.

The DJI line is user friendly and the standard at the moment - Mavic2 series, Mini 2 are very capable.

I would of considered Skydio rather than DJI but they were not available when I got one. I wanted one to assist with search and rescue- dogs, people, and for land mapping. The software can be more expensive than the drone for some aspects.

There are racing drones and freestyle drones that look super fun and thats another rabbit hole. Probably way more fun than RC heli’s And you can build them up yourself.

Last thing, just my 2cents,...I never fly mine with people around- to avoid being the focus of anyone’s ire with drones and privacy. I would be not be happy with any drone flying over me while at my mooring, enjoying nature, or working in my yard so I won’t fly mine around any populated spots. Just saying don’t be that guy. There was a helicopter this summer that did more than a lap low level in the harbor- and its the same thing - he was the only guy that thought it was cool.

Vahn

Ensign
Boat Make
Stanley
Yep, I would have the same urge.

That’s terribly impolite and I would green light downing one for hovering over anyone on a mooring. (Maybe there’s a way other than by shotgun which might get you some attention.)

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
Yep, I would have the same urge.

That’s terribly impolite and I would green light downing one for hovering over anyone on a mooring. (Maybe there’s a way other than by shotgun which might get you some attention.)
focused microwave projector?

the_Bartender

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Bill
Boat Make
35 Bruno
My friend and I had a drone hovering over, coming down to cabin level and annoying us for more that half an hour one day while we were hauling back on a gill net. I was wishing for a shotgun or one strong ass laser at the time. I went home and started looking over social media for any videos or pictures of us. Never did see any. I also looked into what would happen if I shot it down. I found "taking out" a drone is considered the same as "taking out" an airplane!
I don't know if this still holds true but it did a couple of years ago.

* of course since that time, I would love to have the footage of that day. My friend died less than a year ago and the boat was sold and left the area.

MAArcher

Captain
Depends on what you might like to do most....Video, still photography, mapping, inspections, search and rescue, or just have fun with. Theres a lot of automation now, and all are pretty easy to learn your way around with.

The DJI line is user friendly and the standard at the moment - Mavic2 series, Mini 2 are very capable.

I would of considered Skydio rather than DJI but they were not available when I got one. I wanted one to assist with search and rescue- dogs, people, and for land mapping. The software can be more expensive than the drone for some aspects.

There are racing drones and freestyle drones that look super fun and thats another rabbit hole. Probably way more fun than RC heli’s And you can build them up yourself.

Last thing, just my 2cents,...I never fly mine with people around- to avoid being the focus of anyone’s ire with drones and privacy. I would be not be happy with any drone flying over me while at my mooring, enjoying nature, or working in my yard so I won’t fly mine around any populated spots. Just saying don’t be that guy. There was a helicopter this summer that did more than a lap low level in the harbor- and its the same thing - he was the only guy that thought it was cool.
I want to take video like this:
I promise I don't want to to take photo's of unsuspecting bikini babes on boats so I can post them in the mermaid of the day forum. That would just be creepy.

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
we actually had someone filming on the boat a few years back. Amazing what they can do.

IMG_6242.JPG

IMG_6647.JPG

MAArcher

Captain
Dang, link to video isn't working. Its a cool video of a 22' SISU under way in a calm harbor. Its in the 22 SISU group on facebook.

ccc

Lieutenant
I’ll throw my $.02 in....I got a DJI Phantom 3 as a Christmas gift a few years ago. Hardly ever use it, but it has fantastic capabilities for a $500 consumer product. Ease of use is incredible, with lots of built-in software control functions like follow-me, return-to-home, etc. 99% of the time the image stabilization and video / photo quality are like magic. Only complaint is the bulk of it; you have a full-size backpack between the drone, controller, a few spare parts, couple batteries, etc. That appears moot now with the Mavic series and minis; those little things must be incredible AND not a PITA to carry around.
Flying from a boat can be spooky, but it‘s not rocket science. A little common sense and you should be fine. Best with an extra set of hands or a nice big landing spot. And as with most things, practice; my most recent flight I almost put it in the drink trying to land on the bow of my 22’ center console, having not flown it in a year.
What they can do is amazing, and they’re not that expensive, relatively. But be sure you’ll use it before you spend real money on one.

Anthony Kotoun

Lieutenant
Get one, they are fun. The DJI website has some referbished ones that are discounted. Supposedly they go to headquarters and get fixed up by the high up engineers and come out better than the news ones that are coming straight from China
I’ve enjoyed using it for taking photos:

9A059275-2681-492D-B8C0-2B2EE8FDAB4D.jpeg

96D1788B-B9DD-428E-AE18-E1C16E863A42.jpeg

7AA79448-7AEB-407C-A08E-D961FB81AD71.jpeg

97310BA4-09DB-4897-81F8-55910DFCB565.jpeg

50CCB392-9C94-4D60-86D5-CA432A0BF8AC.jpeg

Downrigga

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB

Downrigga

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB
Newport and Marconi beach on the Cape.

See the stripers or bluefish following the GW?
IMG_25011.jpg It was the other way around for this little guy. GW followed this one right up to the stern. Missed it once and came back around and nailed it the second time. You can actually see the teeth cutouts in the meat.

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

Anthony Kotoun

Lieutenant
Re take off / Landing on a boat...it is far easier to land it in your hand than trying to do it the conventional way. most boat surfaces just aren’t big/flat enough and it throws off the software.
We use them for sailing races coaching and literally throw them up in the air and hit the throttle. Lost quite a few trying to take off from the boat and then finally just started doing it by hand and haven’t had an issue yet.

Just make sure you set it up correctly. When the battery gets low, it will “Return to home/take offf spot”. If you are on a boat, that spot has now moved and it will land where you were! So make sure to turn that function off.

Top Bottom