Any Flye Point 28 or 32 owners out there?

FlyePoint28

Ensign
Boat Make
(BHM) Flye Point 28
I have a 1987 Flye Point 28, 165 TAMD40B, no FB. Had it for 5 years. Still think it's one of the prettiest DE's out there.
Bought her on the Cape, and have:

• Replaced 90% of wiring and electrical/electronics...
  • Sussed out any core rot (mostly bad hardware install (natch)).
  • Replaced plastic bowsprit with 2" teak and 35# CQR
  • a million other small things...;)
While I miss PenBay like crazy, Lake Champlain has been interesting. It can blow up a lot more then you would think, and Old Squaw has been one of the most stable boats out there.
She's certainly not fast, but I'm not into speed anyway.
Stuck in Vermont for another year or so, then headed down the canal and the Hudson and home to PenBay.
Really looking forward to the canal and the Hudson. If a pile of $$$ falls on my head before I leave, might take the long way home (Erie Canal to Great Lakes, down the Miss, etc, etc...
She's on the hard this year, as I finish off the major projects:

• Getting rid of vinyl cabin liner, and substituting hard panel with insulation.
  • Replacing fuel delivery system end to end.
  • Cleaning up engine (~ 1800 hours), replacing belts and hoses, etc. Runs like a charm, and wicked reliable
  • Replace Ray20 radar with Simrad 3G chartplotter. (Use my Macbook with GPS feed as back up plotter with GpsNavX.). (Well actually, the hard copy charts are the real backup...;)
  • New water tanks and water heater
  • Installing almost new Groco K got on ebay for $350.00!
  • Swapping out LPG for alcohol stove. Glad to get rid of LPG...
  • Paint, varnish, etc
Very happy to have found this forum. I've been thinking about starting a BHM/Flye Point Forum for a number of years, but you know how it is...

Thanks all,

John

Eastporter

Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
I have a 1987 Flye Point 28, 165 TAMD40B, no FB. Had it for 5 years. Still think it's one of the prettiest DE's out there.

While I miss PenBay like crazy, Lake Champlain has been interesting. It can blow up a lot more then you would think, and Old Squaw has been one of the most stable boats out there.
Stuck in Vermont for another year or so, then headed down the canal and the Hudson and home to PenBay.
Really looking forward to the canal and the Hudson. If a pile of $$$ falls on my head before I leave, might take the long way home (Erie Canal to Great Lakes, down the Miss, etc, etc...

• Getting rid of vinyl cabin liner, and substituting hard panel with insulation.
  • Cleaning up engine (~ 1800 hours), replacing belts and hoses, etc. Runs like a charm, and wicked reliable
  • Replace Ray20 radar with Simrad 3G chartplotter. (Use my Macbook with GPS feed as back up plotter with GpsNavX.). (Well actually, the hard copy charts are the real backup...;)
  • Paint, varnish, etc
Very happy to have found this forum. I've been thinking about starting a BHM/Flye Point Forum for a number of years, but you know how it is...

Thanks all,

John

Hi John,
Sounds like a great boat. Please post some photos if you get a chance. I love Lake Champlain by the way! Burlington was my college "hometown" for four years. Good times...

mako239

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
1987 28 BHM 210 Cummins
Heres my 87 i just got a few months back, She has a "2002" 210 Cummins, Hydrolic hauling system and a double anchor tree... The boat is clean as new and kept in top notch shape... cant wait to get offshore

• Paint, varnish, etc

Thanks all,

John

dockkk.jpg

boat 6.jpg

FlyePoint28

Ensign
Boat Make
(BHM) Flye Point 28
Thanks for the reply!
Here's some more photos...
One with the bow rail when I first got her
2nd one is after updating to a simpler arrangement

Hi John,
Sounds like a great boat. Please post some photos if you get a chance. I love Lake Champlain by the way! Burlington was my college "hometown" for four years. Good times...

May2009.jpg

July2012.jpg

Nauti Lady

Ensign
Nauti Lady 1987 Flye Point BHM 28 Captain Mike E

Hello
Just found your forum. My wife and I own the Nauti Lady the sister ship to the Old Squaw.
These two boats were built at the time at Atlantic Boat Yard in Maine.
We have owned the Lady for 11 years and also reconditioning this perfect boat.
If John or Bruce are still out there, we would like to start communications since we have many questions and possibly some answers.
Capt Mike E

goin4broke

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
35 Foot Terry Jason (Currently undergoing finishing touches)
There was a 32 FP in an anchorage in Mystic I always admired. Kinda got me started on finally getting one. Would always pass by on my way out hoping to see a FOR SALE sign on it. Then three years ago it wasn't there.

At the end of that season I pulled my engine out for rear main seal leak at a marina in Portland. While waiting for the yard manager to show up I walked the yard. And low and behold there it was! Still no for sale on it. Inquiry at the office I discovered the owner was unfortunately in a pretty serious car accident. Didn't feel comfortable leaving my info in case they needed to sell. Haven't seen it since. Always wondered what happened. Research on some website I can't remember indicated he was the original owner. Always loved those lines.

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36 Hatteras/13 Whaler/24 Sailfish
Hi John,

I'd love to anchor off Red Rocks...and just swim in those waters right there. Walk over to Magic Hat get some growlers...

Eastporter - same here, Saint Michael's College actually. Assume you went UVM?

Top Bottom