Any Plumbers Here?

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Ha, just getting rid of my Temptrol today after 14 years with a Symmons Alura, cutting the old one out now... Not a plumber but dying to see where this thread goes...

Downeaster

Lieutenant Commander
Slow drip through the ceiling below. Doesn't happen when my wife showers but it does when I do. Between installing an inspection port and ruling out just about everything else, I believe that the diverter leaks when it isn't at the extreme of its range (tub - shower). I put the diverter lever in the middle position so that I can soap up (my wife just lets it run). Ever heard of a (15-year old) Temptrol diverter leaking like this? Thanks!

bligh

Lieutenant
I am a retired plumber for what its worth?

Slow drip through the ceiling below. Doesn't happen when my wife showers but it does when I do. Between installing an inspection port and ruling out just about everything else, I believe that the diverter leaks when it isn't at the extreme of its range (tub - shower). I put the diverter lever in the middle position so that I can soap up (my wife just lets it run). Ever heard of a (15-year old) Temptrol diverter leaking like this? Thanks!

Here is my 2 cents worth. For many years symmons had the commercial field locked up. Because of their anti scold pressure equalizing features. You could also adjust and repair them in school gang showers. New throw away cheap cartridges for showers make the expensive symmons a rarity rather then the norm. I would bet that if you have not changed out your internal parts then I would bet an O ring is bad. It happens. Also if you have in the 15 years you said you had it? Someone pinched an O ring? It happens. O rings are not perfect. remember the space shuttle falling to the earth because of O rings. They were also known to constantly need to be turned farther and farther to get the same hot water because of age. Needing internal new parts to make them work like new. A diverter like Moen will never let you down. and the price is right.

coddock

Commander
I think your issue may be at the tile/tub/etc...seems strange it would leak with your wife and not you. You say you have a inspection port; you should see it leak when wifey showers....maybe a bonus shot too!

What about the drain? sometimes does weird things with different weight on the drain.

Is it fiberglass, cast iron tub, tile/copper pan?

All else fails,Symmons parts are inexpensive and relatively easy to install!

Downeaster

Lieutenant Commander
I think your issue may be at the tile/tub/etc...seems strange it would leak with your wife and not you. You say you have a inspection port; you should see it leak when wifey showers....maybe a bonus shot too!

What about the drain? sometimes does weird things with different weight on the drain.

Is it fiberglass, cast iron tub, tile/copper pan?

All else fails,Symmons parts are inexpensive and relatively easy to install!

I went into this thinking that the key was our weight difference but as I mentioned, I've since ruled it out. Nonetheless, I pulled the shoe and resealed it and with, the later installation of the port, conclusively ruled out the drain as the culprit. I can't see as much as I'd like through the port but the stain pattern (which is pretty clear) points to the Temptrol or the pipes above and below it.

Eastporter

Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign

I'm not a plumber but have worked on these before. This same scenario happened to me (leak downstairs after a shower/tub). The plumber's putty had dried out around the drain flange and water was leaking out around it. Remove the drain, re-putty and problem was solved. Good luck! By the way, if you have hard ground water with sediment- the spindles will need to be cleaned in vinegar or replaced yearly (don't ask how I know).

Downeaster

Lieutenant Commander
Here is my 2 cents worth. For many years symmons had the commercial field locked up. Because of their anti scold pressure equalizing features. You could also adjust and repair them in school gang showers. New throw away cheap cartridges for showers make the expensive symmons a rarity rather then the norm. I would bet that if you have not changed out your internal parts then I would bet an O ring is bad. It happens. Also if you have in the 15 years you said you had it? Someone pinched an O ring? It happens. O rings are not perfect. remember the space shuttle falling to the earth because of O rings. They were also known to constantly need to be turned farther and farther to get the same hot water because of age. Needing internal new parts to make them work like new. A diverter like Moen will never let you down. and the price is right.

Like many faucet controls, Symmons supplies them at no charge. I guess that I'll have to cough up the cost of the special tool(s) needed though.

Boats or bathtubs, water is just lurking (Jaws music here) ...

Thanks!

MBILL

Commander
Boat Make
35 Duffy&Duffy
I'm not a plumber but I was watching a home improvement show recently which highlighted a very similar problem.
The shower had a bad water leak but it only happened when the husband used it.

As a test, they slowly filled the tub and it eventually began to leak as the water level rose.

The problem was bad caulking job around the drain flange and a poorly installed pipe.

coddock

Commander
I have also seen/repaired many shower heads (at the connection,elbow,etc.) leak,run down the supply and appear as it is the valve.

Downeaster

Lieutenant Commander
I have also seen/repaired many shower heads (at the connection,elbow,etc.) leak,run down the supply and appear as it is the valve.

I don't see how this could be a possibility as neither my wife or I touch the shower head so it should leak when either of us shower. Simmons is sending a new diverter valve and told me how to safely remove debris without scoring the Temptrol itself.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
How is that whole angie's list thing? Just had my roof redone and wanted to use that... I do 90% of house things myself but wasnt going to do a roof...

Now looking for a stump grinder guy and maybe sprinkler dude...

coddock

Commander
I don't see how this could be a possibility as neither my wife or I touch the shower head so it should leak when either of us shower. Simmons is sending a new diverter valve and told me how to safely remove debris without scoring the Temptrol itself.

Dude,maybe your wife takes 3X the shower you do.You have a leak that you are clueless about and you were looking for possibilities....correct?

Downeaster

Lieutenant Commander
Dude,maybe your wife takes 3X the shower you do.You have a leak that you are clueless about and you were looking for possibilities....correct?

Well, did you read my initial description of the problem? I've ruled out everything (tile, tub, tub-surround seal, the tub drain, the overflow drain) south of the Temptrol and the showerhead. My wife spends more time in the shower than I do but I've never seen it leak during/after her shower, just when I shower. The only difference is that I use the Temptrol's diverter during my shower and she doesn't so my question is: Has anyone seen a Temptrol diverter leaks under conditions like this?

Incidentally, the port location was a crap shoot but I placed it where I could spot the most possibilities. Obviously I can rebuild the Temptrol and this is preferable to me than installing another port half way up the wall in the master bathroom.

Thanks for your interest.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Perfect, just finished installing my Symmons Allura and it still drips a little bit out of the spout when on the shower mode... Oh well... Atleast its better

starrfish

Commander
Boat Make
35 duffy
those diverters will leak. you can get one at your supply shop, they make 2 different ones, one for tub, and one for tub/shower. the one for the tub is more of a 'volume control'. replacement is very easy, and you do not need to shut off the water supply.
take off the face plate, and there is a allen screw where the diverter is, take it off (dont drop it) its just a cover, kinda thin. next is a triangular/ dovetail piece, remove that also. the thing thats left is the diverter, they make a tool for removal. but all it is, is an easyout. you can use a screw big enough to bite into the middle and pull it out, its about 2" long..grease up the orings on the new one and your good to go.

Downeaster

Lieutenant Commander
those diverters will leak. you can get one at your supply shop, they make 2 different ones, one for tub, and one for tub/shower. the one for the tub is more of a 'volume control'. replacement is very easy, and you do not need to shut off the water supply.
take off the face plate, and there is a allen screw where the diverter is, take it off (dont drop it) its just a cover, kinda thin. next is a triangular/ dovetail piece, remove that also. the thing thats left is the diverter, they make a tool for removal. but all it is, is an easyout. you can use a screw big enough to bite into the middle and pull it out, its about 2" long..grease up the orings on the new one and your good to go.

Thanks - exactly what I needed to confirm! Are worn seats something that I should be dealing with or are they incorporated into the cartridge itself?

Top Bottom