Anyone have an idea of what the least expensive radar for finding bird flocks would be? New or used

MAArcher

Captain
I know nothing of radar, just starting to think about getting one. Any recommendations for the best deal on a new unit? Or what I should look for in a used unit?

I like the idea of a DRS4W since I have an ipad, but it sounds like it might not be strong enough?

Wharf Rat

Marine Electronics 'Professional'
Forum Sponsor
Website
www.precisionmarinecenter.com
Boat Make
OPB
DRS4W will not do the job for birds.. What is the realistic distance you'd like to mark birds with?
Also what kind of boat is it, and what do you have room for, both display wise and radar antenna wise?

MAArcher

Captain
DRS4W will not do the job for birds.. What is the realistic distance you'd like to mark birds with?
Also what kind of boat is it, and what do you have room for, both display wise and radar antenna wise?
It’s a 20’ boat. I have room for radar I think. I have an aluminum plate roof but will be replacing it with a fiberglass one as soon as I find time to fabricate it. don’t know whats realistic distances are for marking birds though.

F0471E0E-DF87-4E21-8BAA-7AE4C52CBCC0.jpeg

8CA0F040-1244-488B-B09F-35477248E022.jpeg

GLA

Commander
I had a JRC 16 mile on my old 21 ft novi and it did a great job of picking up
birds , flocks of sea ducks ect

MAArcher

Captain
What is it that hte DRS4W lacks for birds?

Wharf Rat

Marine Electronics 'Professional'
Forum Sponsor
Website
www.precisionmarinecenter.com
Boat Make
OPB
The DRS4W is a wireless version of the entry level DRS4DL radar that Furuno made for a few years for their NavNet series, and while it does the job for collision avoidance, picks up buoys, boats etc; it just doesn't have the power and processing to mark birds reliably. MOst modern era radars can mark a flock up close, the trick is marking them past "the horizon". What's the budget you have for a radar? That will at least give an idea of if you're better off getting a used, more powerful brute force magnetron radar where you'll have to maybe play with the gain and STC to mark birds at longer ranges, or a newer, less power/higher sensitivity digital scanner with an automatic 'Bird Mode' setting. Decisions, decisions!

MAArcher

Captain
The DRS4W is a wireless version of the entry level DRS4DL radar that Furuno made for a few years for their NavNet series, and while it does the job for collision avoidance, picks up buoys, boats etc; it just doesn't have the power and processing to mark birds reliably. MOst modern era radars can mark a flock up close, the trick is marking them past "the horizon". What's the budget you have for a radar? That will at least give an idea of if you're better off getting a used, more powerful brute force magnetron radar where you'll have to maybe play with the gain and STC to mark birds at longer ranges, or a newer, less power/higher sensitivity digital scanner with an automatic 'Bird Mode' setting. Decisions, decisions!

The DRS4W is less than $1k. The next step up I was thinking of was the Garmin GPSMAP® 742xs Chartplotter/Sonar Combo and GMR 18 HD+ Radar Bundle at $2,100; which I'm bummed to just figure out isn't compatible with my sidevu transducer.

I have poor vision (contact lenses and reading glasses). I also don't venture too far from port. So something that could keep me off the rocks in the dark and detect flocks just a few miles away would be fine.

Maybe the money would be better spent on imagestabilized binoculars and a night vision monocular.

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
The DRS4W is less than $1k. The next step up I was thinking of was the Garmin GPSMAP® 742xs Chartplotter/Sonar Combo and GMR 18 HD+ Radar Bundle at $2,100; which I'm bummed to just figure out isn't compatible with my sidevu transducer.

I have poor vision (contact lenses and reading glasses). I also don't venture too far from port. So something that could keep me off the rocks in the dark and detect flocks just a few miles away would be fine.

Maybe the money would be better spent on imagestabilized binoculars and a night vision monocular.

Or lasik...

Sorry, my eyes suck also. Age

captjohn

Captain
Boat Make
Henriques
I guess I'm lucky. I can see birds before most people can find them on the RADAR!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom