Anyone interested in a Newport squid trip tomorrow?

greg

Captain
Didn't know where to put this, so apologies to mods if it's inappropriate. This is basically just a fun night out on a downeastern boat. If anyone wanted to take a trip on a TJ 35, this is a good way to do it. ;)

Yesterday, I tried finding squid off the beaches in RI but the temps there are still at around 48 and none were home yet.

So my plan B is to try the area just north of the newport bridge. No squid reports have surfaced yet from either GI or Jamestown, but the water temps there are almost 54 and its time for their arrival.

The herring (Atlanic) have been running thick there, so if you bring a number 8 sabiki rig you should do ok.

If anyone wants to join the expedition, we will leave from Point Judith around 5 or 6pm and will be back around midnight, unless we are into a lot of action and everyone agrees. It's about an hours ride each way.

Boat is a Terry Jason 35 with full safety gear (well, no life raft at the moment - still waiting for a new one to arrive - but we won't need it up there).

PM for costs or other info.

Tx

PS- weather should be great, especially up in the bay.

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
26' Webber Cove lobster boat.
I live and fish in Newport. As of last night there were still absolutely no squid in the bay. Lots of herring though. I don't believe that you will get many north of the bridge though. We have been filling buckets with them every night right from the dock. They are all in shallow in the harbor. Any place in the harbor that has a light shining directly on it should have plenty of them. Good luck

greg

Captain
It's a sad squid state of affairs, that's for sure. Hopefully soon though. I hate waiting though when I have time AND good weather to fish.

greg

Captain
Ok, nobody saw any squid last night so I'm going to postpone until Sunday night. Maybe another couple of days will do it.

Until then, there is always fluke at BI.

greg

Captain
They are still not here yet. Lots of blackfish though

The francis fleet posted a report from last night. They got some, but very few. I was at the marina yesterday and the winds were howling. Must have been miserable out there last nigh to boot.

Good news is they are now showing up off the beaches, at least in limited numbers.

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
26' Webber Cove lobster boat.
They are getting a few out front. Last I heard. Did well with blackfish this weekend. My friends that are lucky enough to fish all week have been getting a lot.

greg

Captain
I was out last night. Bloody thick fog but glassy water.

We ended up with about a dozen. Not a bonanza but fun anyway.

Top Bottom