Anyone interested in the Americas Cup

Anthony Kotoun

Lieutenant
If your interested in the technology of how these are built, the “Latest Greatest” is called Thin Ply Technology TPT.
essentially, the weave of carbon and fiberglass is not efficient. think of woven fiberglass, in each “strand” are lots of fibers that make up the strand. Each one of those fibers in the strand may or may not be doing its job 100% from a load path stand point. The engineers know this and just lay down more layers or use heavier cloth.
TPT takes each strand and flattens its into a tape so to say so that all of the fibers are now layered out next to each other and not in a bundle. This allows them to lay the tape/cloth in the direction of the load and have it be much more efficient. Which then leads to it either being much stronger at the same weight or lighter for the same strength.
TPT is what you see on sailboats with all black sails. It has also made it to skis and golf clubs. 1610677709960.jpeg

EF101017-1554-4476-96C6-76013699651E.jpeg

A7940BFE-1F83-4101-9541-EA8578FB9F13.jpeg

DotRat

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Row Boat
Yeah read Pete Goss's story of the vendee global it is insane!

51DpkqcVjrL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Also there is a book about the fire boat that is written by a girl who was pretty to boot and was the volunteer engineer on her for awhile. It's a pretty funny read and has a lot of info and history of the vessel. Highly recommended
51mwRSAtXoL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

fortier256

Captain
Boat Make
Fortier 26
I think that boat is in Newport now. Sitting in the Newport Shipyard. Think I saw a riveted hull. It got towed in about a month ago.
Bingo! I saw that tug over the weekend. Was wondering what that was. In for repairs? Get some pics if you are in the vicinity.

pogybait

Ensign
Back in 1972 I was a mechanic at Marina America/Stamford Landing. That year they held the first selection trials between between Intrepid and Heritage in western LI Sound .... the Intrepid was based at Yacht Haven, the Heritage at Stamford Landing ... our marina was loaded with blowboats, and I had a pretty good side gig putting on my dive gear, wet sanding bottoms before races .

They brought the Heritage up from Florida on her own bottom, had weather problems and arrived days late, hauled her out, cleaned the bottom and started the trials almost immediately. When Charley Morgan found out about me, he hired me to wet sand the bottom every morning at 0500...

Got to watch every race with his "pit crew" on their tender, got the whole time off from work with pay and a nice tip from Charley. He won the preliminary round, but later lost out to Intrepid.

shiook

Lieutenant
Boat Make
BHM 32, JD 6068T
These foiling boats seem to sail just like our DN Iceboats do. We can easily outpace the wind speed. I've done 48 MPH on mine, laying on my back, 6 inches off the ice - with a helmet.

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland
Top Bottom