Anyone run 5 Blades ?

hardcore1

Captain
5 blade will cut down your speed, and more often then not the harmonics don t jive well with straight 6's. more or less for commercial applications. a good 4blade is all you need.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Jersey,A friend has one on a 35 Duffy....i thought it maybe a little smoother (maybe)....but it lost a knot of speed... so i dont think its worth it

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
I borrowed one from a friend when I needed to have my wheel reconditioned.I didn't like the sound of it at all.I didn't see much of a difference performance wise..I know of a couple sitting under benches.Now a DQX wheel is a different story.

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
i guess mostare using something similar to the dq m500

compuquin-22109-268919.jpg

actually i'm more interested int the high skew one

tiger5blade-a.jpg

twister

Captain
Boat Make
37 Mitchell cove
I have seen the high skew one, can't remember the boat though.
I will have to go look around

tunafishhkg

Captain
Boat Make
35 Duffy
I had a 5 blade on my duffy before my repower and it now sits under my bench. It was smooth but really nothing better or worse to say its the way to go especially price wise. Maybe at the slow displacement speeds we see now, the efficiency might make a difference but when I repowered, I went with a nibril 4 blade FWIW.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Magic #4

Four Bladed propellers are all you need. With a four bladed propeller and a keel in front of the wheel no matter where the wheel is in rotation you always have the same amount of blades grabbing water on both sides of the keel.
Five bladders are better suited for large twin screw boats where they need the extra blade to make up the difference for lack of wheel diameter and pitch.
Plus I have been told by many that 5 bladders do not work well in reverse.

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
Jersey, you have a twin screw deep V hull, wonder if it's different than a DE hull.

Most certainly is, The 52 vik i fish on runs 6 blades, and that thing is an animal. I have no where near the HP he has, maybe one of his cylinders ;)

Problem is its like being a guinea pig without a bankroll. everyone on the 33 site runs 3 blades. the one guy running 4 is WAY underpowered.

reelyankee

Lieutenant
had a very reputable boat builder tell me that in most applications the five blade is not any better then a four,does not merit the cost for most boats.That being said i love mine,can't compare it to my spare four blade though because his never been on the boat.32X30 five blade nibral,20 yrs old.

Top Bottom