Anyone using a "Good" windlass ??

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
I'm working on becoming a dealer for the Good windlass's so i'd like to hear from anyone with experience with them, good bad whatever you can tell me. The one thing that makes me cautious is that they highly recommend using their own brand of anchorline with them and it isn't cheap especially with the freight charge added in to get it to me here in alaska. I'm thinking my customers won't want to spend the extra bucks for another anchorline and i don't want them to have a windlass that doesn't work, i don't want the bad reputation of selling something that doesn't work. Let me know guys !!

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
We've used them with great success. Even put on one of their bow rollers (although that was with a different kind of anchor puller, one that we weren't too excited about... but the customer is always right). Very nice units, and the line is expensive but it's all color coded. Just don't cut the ends of the coil off and heave it over the side expecting it to lay out properly so you can drag it through the windlass...

So many snarls. Should have used my idea of putting it in the dinghy and giving it a kick to unfurl the line.

Live and learn :lol:

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH.. Piscataqua and Merrimack Rivers
Boat Make
27 H&H with Cummins QSB 5.9 480 power
I'm working on becoming a dealer for the Good windlass's so i'd like to hear from anyone with experience with them, good bad whatever you can tell me. The one thing that makes me cautious is that they highly recommend using their own brand of anchorline with them and it isn't cheap especially with the freight charge added in to get it to me here in alaska. I'm thinking my customers won't want to spend the extra bucks for another anchorline and i don't want them to have a windlass that doesn't work, i don't want the bad reputation of selling something that doesn't work. Let me know guys !!

Never used a Good but I'd install one before a Lewmar.
Lower profile with the motor unit underneath the fore deck or pulpit and
I bet the line free falls better into the anchor locker with the Good

Rearmount

1st Mate
Boat Make
34' mainship Pilot
I have one and like it. The only advice I can give is to break the anchor out of the bottom with the boat and not with the winch. It was easy to fix and the company good to deal with.

gmac

Captain
Let me know if you do, in the market for a windless, haven't heard of Good brand but they look well built.
On the rope, my Dad has a Lewmar and had to try about 3 different types of rope to get it to work with out slipping, makes me wonder if there all made for there specific rope. Brother also has a Lewmar, he bought the Lewmar rope and it was't cheap but no issues.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
We've used them with great success. Even put on one of their bow rollers (although that was with a different kind of anchor puller, one that we weren't too excited about... but the customer is always right). Very nice units, and the line is expensive but it's all color coded. Just don't cut the ends of the coil off and heave it over the side expecting it to lay out properly so you can drag it through the windlass...

So many snarls. Should have used my idea of putting it in the dinghy and giving it a kick to unfurl the line.

Live and learn :lol:

Travis is the rope a hard lay nylon ?? guys here will need the 600' length because of fishing in deep water and with the small size of their boats they don't have much of a rope locker so stuffing all that rope into a small space may be a issue.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Steve, it's a nice soft rope, it was just on a spool that the ends were cut off of in an attempt to make the job of stowing it easier - same principal as taking the line from the center of the coil for your trap warps. It just didn't work that way. The spool was designed to be taken from the outside, not the interior.

captainlarry84

Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
I have installed and owned Good Windless. The product is extremely durable, well made & attractive. The company is family owned & run out of NJ. So when you call you usually get either the father or one son the sons, all with a vested interest in their company and their outstanding product. This makers their customer service a ten.
I also used their rope. It was color marked with a chain splice one the anchor end. It was very soft & of high quality. However it did not look much different that other brands.
I would rate Good Windless as a top notch product.

yanmar

Admiral
Boat Make
26 chesepeake 22 tripp
Steve ,
Tom and his staff are top notch . Very easy to deal with . They installed a windlass on one of my boats and the work and attitudes were awsome . I live about 10 miles from there shop so Tom had given me a tour of there facility and i was quite impressed . At that time everything except the motor was made inhouse and the motor was even made right here in the US . As far as the rope goes it is a soft cotton rope so it spins around the drum easily ( very important ) I replaced my rope every 4 years and switched ends every 2 years . It is important to wash the sand and mud out of the rope at the end of the season as well . Btw the only failure i had was the thumb that keeps tension on the rope/chain as it drops into the locker . Also i bought rope from Egg Harbor Rope Co . who i belive Tom gets his rope from .

goody

1st Mate
Boat Make
Ellis 28 and Tripp Angler 22 C/C
Good windless

I have one on my boat very happy with it they came an installed it used their rope free falls and stow nice

levidossak

Deckhand
Boat Make
27' Jefferson shrimper/F/V Sonny Boy 1968 Rawson/ Wanting a DE
Send one to me and I will demo it for you for a few years.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
They look like great units and speaking with the owner was very informative but i don't think the guys around here are going to spend a extra $600 for a new anchorline/chain to use in the windlass when they already have one. I know i'd be hard pressed to do it. You've also got to realize that most of the boats are small 22-26' so where are they going to store 600' of 1/2" rope ???

Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
They look like great units and speaking with the owner was very informative but i don't think the guys around here are going to spend a extra $600 for a new anchorline/chain to use in the windlass when they already have one. I know i'd be hard pressed to do it. You've also got to realize that most of the boats are small 22-26' so where are they going to store 600' of 1/2" rope ???

tell'm to move east and fish the canyons ;)

Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
Prince William Sound is a giant canyon, i can be 200yards off the beach and its a 1000' deep ! I'm thinking of rigging a green stick on the boat to troll for killer whales, guess i'll just paint the bird to look like a seal & the baits to look like otters :D

oh yeah steve, i can anchor up in the keansburg canyon, get out of the boat and have my head above water :D

CaptFred

Deckhand
Boat Make
36 Flowers / Cape Island
Bird Seal

Prince William Sound is a giant canyon, i can be 200yards off the beach and its a 1000' deep ! I'm thinking of rigging a green stick on the boat to troll for killer whales, guess i'll just paint the bird to look like a seal & the baits to look like otters :D

This would be killer off Chatham

Top Bottom