Anyone want a deal on pig hide?

MAArcher

Captain
I have a butcher friend who’s starting his pig slaughtering season next week. The hides go to waste but I’ll salt and sell them for $30 a bucket.

Snake8

Lieutenant Commander
Hey Ken, I would be interested if its in sealed 5 gal buckets and cut into 6x6 pieces. I cant do anything for a few days but Ill PM you later this week.

MAArcher

Captain
Hey Ken, I would be interested if its in sealed 5 gal buckets and cut into 6x6 pieces. I cant do anything for a few days but Ill PM you later this week.
Any idea how many you'd want? I think he'll be butchering pigs for the next month or two so there could be a lot of hide available.

Leprechaun

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
26' Fortier
Everyone here is bringing gear in. If you salt it heavy will it keep for 3 or 4 months?

MAArcher

Captain
Everyone here is bringing gear in. If you salt it heavy will it keep for 3 or 4 months?
I'm guessing it lasts almost indefinitely but I have a few buckets that I salted back in august I think. I'll open them tomorrow at lunch time if I think of it and see how they look. I think if you keep the buckets out of the sun in the summer it will last a real long time. The next three months average temps are going to be below 40 degrees ( typically bacteria doesn't grow well below 40). So I'm going to say if you keep the buckets outside and out of the sun over the next three months it shouldn't degrade at all. I'll do a little more research to let you know for sure.

Snake8

Lieutenant Commander
Yeah you have to salt it heavy but if its sealed it will stay good for a while. I could also use some pork butt to mix in with my venison for sausages. Ill give you a holler late this week.

Top Bottom