Assessing Weight Distribution in a 25 T Jason

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Today I rearranged the water filled weight barrels in the 25 T Jason.

The four 230 lbs barrels (30-32 gals of water each) are positioned about where the 45-50 gal fuel tanks will be under the deck.

The boat sits nicely balanced in the water with a simulated full load of fuel plus some additional weight of gear on the cockpit deck.

Tomorrow I'll take a final sea trial run or two with maybe two more 230 lb barrels of water up front on either side of the existing engine box to simulate the weight of moving the engine back 14-16 inches and a couple of adults.

I'll run the boat @ WOT (figure 13-14 knots) and try and figure out if lifting rails will be worth the hassle and also get an accurate estimate on what the boat will run "heavy" with some more hp.

FWIW, Bill D

IMG_1539.jpg

IMG_1543.jpg

IMG_1538.jpg

IMG_1537.jpg

IMG_1541.jpg

IMG_1544.jpg

IMG_1546.jpg

IMG_1545.jpg

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
You sure that thing wont last another season? Fresh spray paint and duct tape would be a lot less work...Looks like my engine (there is duct tape on the exhaust hoses from prior owner).

Looks like that weight is pretty evenly distributed. Doesnt really look like the rear of the boat is noticeably lower than the bow either.

cb34

Rear Admiral
Fuel tanks

Bill, why are you thinking about two tanks? One tank holding 50 gallons of fuel should be more than enough. Hell 50 would last a month running around pulling your pots.

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
Bill, why are you thinking about two tanks? One tank holding 50 gallons of fuel should be more than enough. Hell 50 would last a month running around pulling your pots.

I want the option of running this rig out to Halfway Hump, Jeffreys, etc. for bottom fishing. I don't want to be limited on fuel. :D

Nice to have the fuel capacity. No need to carry all the fuel around.;)

cb34

Rear Admiral
fuel

Bill, understood. I can fish Jeffreys for the day as far as the outer Pigion and burn 35 gals. You should be able do the same with 20 gallons;). One tank is so simple......

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
Bill, understood. I can fish Jeffreys for the day as far as the outer Pigion and burn 35 gals. You should be able do the same with 20 gallons;). One tank is so simple......

Will,

Thanks for the fuel burn data on your 30 CB/Cummins QSB 380.
I'll use it as a reference for fuel burn on a smaller hp engine.

There's a good chance this will be the only boat "in the family". I want to keep ALL the cockpit space I can. (no stern tank)

Also, I have to "open up the deck" to do some exhaust work if I replace the Volvo. I'll hack the rest of the deck up and do it right with two tanks and a balance line.

Not that much more work. I have access to very $inexpensive$ "demolition help", a heated building and it's a LONG winter. :D

I'll keep ya posted.

Bill D

DBM

Commander
Lite User

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.