Auto pilot rudder feedback control

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
I'm trying to figure out how to connect the rod from my feedback box to the rudder arm, i think i'm going to use either a piece of UHMW or aluminum and bolt it to the top of the rudder flange, what do you guys think of that or would you do something different.
rudder.jpg

rudder.jpg

Last edited:

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
Your pilot didn't come with a plastic arm?The sitex I installed in my old boat came with a plastic arm that attached to the rudder shaft with a hose clamp and had a ball joint on the outer end.Either a piece of alum or a thick piece of kicked off fiberglass,mounted in the holes used to push the taper lock apert with some stainless bolts.That way when you want to push the taper apart the holes aren't full of rust.You could also make a plastic bushing and use the other hole on the end of the tiller and turn the indicator around.

Last edited:

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Here you go, took a pic of mine while waiting for 6:00 pm coffee to kick in :rolleyes:

My rudder arm doesn't come off the shaft at a 90 degree angle, in my picture the rudder is square and straight ahead. I'll look it over again and see if i can do the drill and tap.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
My rudder arm doesn't come off the shaft at a 90 degree angle, in my picture the rudder is square and straight ahead. I'll look it over again and see if i can do the drill and tap.

in your planned drawing rotate the unit 180 degrees. then before mounting turn the base clockwise to match the angle of your steering arm? that way bolth arms will be paralel?

Last edited:

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
alright spent the day messing with the feedback control finally getting it close to done, what a pain in the arse going forth and back turning the wheel to see if everything was clearing.

20130512_170351[1].jpg

made the L shaped bracket to see where the rod would need to be shortened, didn't want to cut it to short. Going to bend the aluminum plate to screw it to the deck beam and mount the control to it.
20130512_170445[1].jpg

I'm ashamed of my rusty steering ram but while poking around by it i felt the underside of the hose laying on the ram and the jacket of the hose was a bit worn from chaffing on the ram so i put a piece of split plastic pipe over the ram to make a slide for the hose to run on. Ram is coming out this fall for a good sandblasting and paint job.
20130512_170428[1].jpg

20130512_170351[1].jpg

20130512_170445[1].jpg

20130512_170428[1].jpg

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Thanks Mud !! Yeah that ram is a rusty mess don't know why the former owner didn't take care of it but it seemed odd to me that none of the deck hatches were screwed down so all the rain and salt water just ran down on everything. I'll try to find that stuff, where do you get it ?? i'm guessing not home depot ?? I'll pull the ram in the fall blast it clean, ospho it then i've had good luck with Kelcote coating, its like a tar/undercoating they use it here on the steel decks of crabbers. I used it on my old trailer and did all my hydro valves with it.

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made
Top Bottom