auto pilot solenoid

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
So i'm going to need one of those 12volt solenoids to hook up my Simrad autopilot, anyone have the make and model number?? i'd like to try and find one here before i go and order one from Rose's.

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
I don't know the model number Steve,but I hope Roses has the ones like Marine Hyd.has,as they have become quite expensive.I had one in my old boat that was all three units in one,and it was around 700.00 10 years ago.I plan on putting a pilot in this summer.If you call Roses they should know what you need.You used to have to buy the three pieces separate and connect them with hoses. The one I had was one solid aluminum block that was all in one,much easier to install.

tunafishhkg

Captain
Boat Make
35 Duffy
Just went thru this for a friend and talked to Roses which supplied the valve head for around 325.00 You still need the base that you would prob get as a complete unit when you buy from a hyd supply. Also need flow control/pressure reducing valve (the alum block you see in pic) You can source all the parts from a Hyd supply house in your neck of the woods and maybe save shipping and put together the pieces yourself as its not rocket science. Depending on your time frame most all the parts can be had cheaper if you got the time on e-bay that I see new Vicker valves for 135.00. just make sure you get a 12VDC coil one and I see pressure valves from sun for 100.00. The Vickers web site has parts code diagrams that will decipher the part # if you go the E-bay route! I would go Vickers since they have been around forever and many carry them unlike my Nicamachi that Rose could not get and Marine Hyd went out but they all use standard bases (need 4 Port) that the head will bolt on to. Here is a pic of my syst that I got from marine Hyd long ago that has been flawless for 15yrs and my motto is "autopilot break I fix that day"

need to cull 321.jpg

need to cull 323.jpg

need to cull 324.jpg

need to cull 322.jpg

Crabman

Lieutenant Commander
Steve, this is my setup from John at Marine Hydraulics in Rockland, ME.

IMG_0870.jpg

IMG_0873.jpg

I think I paid around $575. Very easy to set up.

IMG_0870.jpg

IMG_0873.jpg

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
thanks guys that yellow one has the flow control built in correct ??? I'm guessing Rose's must have the same one as Marine Hydro ?? One other question I'm planning to have a jog lever/joystick control inside the house instead of a wheeled helm so does the solenoid control the speed that the jog lever controls the rudder? I'd like it to respond at the same speed as the helm outside.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Steve ,you want to call John at marine Hyd..he has the gold block type..1800 747 7550

tunafishhkg

Captain
Boat Make
35 Duffy
Steve,
The speed is based on flow when using a solenoid system that only knows on or off(Spring return to center), instead of an electric autopilot pump that the autopilot software can control the speed of the pump. On the Simrad J3000-300X series they recommend 12-15sec lock to lock if I remember correctly to avoid sharp violent turns on auto mode, so how much you can config the jog lever speed on a solenoid type set up would have to take that in concideration. An adjustable flow control valve is easy to install and then you will have to play with it to fit your needs. The pressure reducing valve is only if your hydraulic power for steering was supplied by a high pressure pump typicaly used for other deck equipment that needs over the 1000psi max recommended for steering. Since your steering syst is already set up, you should only need flow control. Deff call Roses or Marine Hyd for advise if unsure but I do not see any flow control on the gold unit above but the pic did not show the whole connection to the helm.
FlyingConnie,
I have the simrad FU 35 jog lever as my stern control that follows the lever position rather than a NFU lever/joystick that is on or off, port or starboard, that would be hard to tell where your rudder is set at without a rudder indicator and would take a few feet to see if you are turning. On a wheeled helm, you usually instinctively turn back to center after a correction. The autopilot syst tells solenoid what to do and knows the rudder angle in order to work so its only if you want to know the rudder angle, is it needed and on simrads at least, you can see the rudder angle on the control head.

Last edited:
Top Bottom