Auto pilot

Discussion in 'Marine Electrical / Electronics' started by Gaitocm, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Gaitocm

Gaitocm Member

I have a fortier 26 with cable steering. Looking for recommendations for a auto pilot. I have looked at the ray marine ev 100. Good or Bad? Also looked at Si-Tex but there’s seems a little more complicated. Also will the raymarine talk to a simrad plotter via nema thanks for the help

2. fortier256

fortier256 Captain

Boat Make:
    Fortier 26
    I added the Si-Tex SP 110 to my Fortier a few years back. Worked well with the cable steering. I found it quite simple to install. Have since sold the boat however feel free to pm me with questions.

3. Bill_N

Bill_N Captain

Boat Make:
    31' JC Rowdy Girl
    I have the EV-200 on my JC with hydraulic steering. Night and day from the Simrad AP11 that I had. Call Wharf Rat to sort out the compatibilty questions.

4. Wharf Rat

Wharf Rat Captain

Radar Tech
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    OPB
    Both the EV-200 pilot and Si-Tex SP110 are great pilots, although for cable steering you might be better served with the SP unit as it will cost quite a bit less and are packaged to work with the Octopus Drives which are great solutions for cable steering. You could still go with one of the Raymarine pilots, which do have a significantly higher quality heading sensor and are pretty slick looking not to mention the additional features, but we'd have to check out the cost between say an EV-100 or EV-150 and Octopus Drive setup, and also if you have an existing NMEA2000 backbone on the Fortier or if you would need to put together a starter kit. Most importantly, are you looking for a pilot that will be integrated with a plotter to follow a waypoint, or to feed heading data to a radar or plotter/radar combo for overlay, etc. There's always things to discuss before going in one direction. Regardless on the drive type, Take a look at Type R Drive Family | Octopus Autopilot Drive Systems , which would be the likely solution for a drive unit if you don't want to change the helm.

5. fortier256

fortier256 Captain

Boat Make:
    Fortier 26
    The Octopus Type R is what I used. Worked well. Easy install. Is heavy so I added a plywood backing plate to the bulkhead. But is a nice self contained installation. From memory the Only downside was that the wire for the Octopus is not tinned and the supplied mounting bolts are not stainless. Maybe I am a little picky?