Auto Pilot

charlesosgood

Lieutenant
Boat Make
none, but looking
In the process of buying a 36 NB cruiser (recreational) that does not have an auto pilot. I have had good experience with a Raymarine hydraulic unit on a larger sailboat, but would be interested in what you guys are using for this size boat. And if you have an idea on the cost- I would have to have it installed as well. The boat is in Maine.

Thanks.

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
In the boat I just sold I had a sitex sp 80.It was a simple pilot to install and operate.I am looking to install something in my new boat and for the money I will probably go with the sitex again,and hope it will be as good as the one I just sold.I had it for ten years and used it every day the boat was running and never had any trouble at all,and I know the unit.If you have used a certain pilot before and are comfortable with its operation it may be good to stay with that model. This was with power steering with electronic solenoids. These units are selling for around $1500.00 without the hyd block that has the flow control,pressure relief,and solenoids .I think they are around 700.00.Probably cheaper if you have a closed loop hyd. steerer.

islander

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Duffy 35
I just installed the Sitex SP 80. A very simple to use unit. Press the Pilot button to steer to a heading. Press the Nav button to steer to waypoints. Thats it! It interfaces to the GPS via NEMA 0183. The unit is actual made by COMNAV. You can go to the Sitex web site and download the manual. Good luck!

Wharf Rat

Marine Electronics 'Professional'
Forum Sponsor
Website
www.precisionmarinecenter.com
Boat Make
OPB
I just installed the Sitex SP 80. A very simple to use unit. Press the Pilot button to steer to a heading. Press the Nav button to steer to waypoints. Thats it! It interfaces to the GPS via NEMA 0183. The unit is actual made by COMNAV. You can go to the Sitex web site and download the manual. Good luck!

PLUS ONE on the Si-Tex SP-80. A nice, simple to use and effective point and shoot pilot system that doesn't break the bank. Great guys at Si-Tex, too. Their number is 631-996-2690. You'll always get a human on the line. Very refreshing.

Top Bottom