Auto pilot

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
26' Webber Cove lobster boat.
Hello there everyone. I am looking into getting myself an auto pilot system for the boat. I have decided that I like the simrad systems. I am thinking of getting an AP24. The question that I have is what type of system do I need for my set up??? I have a 26 webber cove with power steering, and I am not sure how one goes about setting up an auto pilot system with power steering. Do I just install a system that has a 12 volt pump and hook it up in line with my steering lines to my rudder ram ?? Or do they make a system that has an electronic diverter valve that will just use the hydraulic pressure that is already available from my power steering pump to steer the boat while the system is engaged??.

Any input or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
I went through the whole mess this spring & i posted a bunch of pics of the install of my AP 28 system.. The computer you'll need is the AC 12 and you'll also need a solenoid instead of another hydro pump. John in Rockland, Marine hydro's has the nice small size solenoids or Rose's in gloucester (ask for Marty) can also get you set up. The best price i found for the pilot was from Anchor Express but wharfrat on here i bet will beat their price so i'd surely give him a call, he helped me sort out some problems with my pilot when i bought the wrong computer. I would of bought my system from him but he wasn't a member here when i bought.

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
Ok, so I am going to install a basic AP system and use a solenoid in place of the pump to just divert the pressure that my mechanical pump already produces???

And while I have your ear steve, How do you like the AP 28 simrad system??

Roy-c

Commander
Weeks marine electronics. I got his name on this forum and had him install a new Simrad on my 44' Stanley this Summer. Loring Weeks is the only person that I have met that is as anal about installing things in my boat as I am. You can probably get away cheaper but if you want it to work correctly from the get go give him a call. P.S. he is in Rhode Island. I paid travel time for him to come to Boston and it was money well spent. He really is an old school craftsman.
I have no financial connnection just a very satisfied customer

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Ok, so I am going to install a basic AP system and use a solenoid in place of the pump to just divert the pressure that my mechanical pump already produces???

And while I have your ear steve, How do you like the AP 28 simrad system??

Can't give you any feedback cause i never got the boat in the water this year.

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
Thanks for the heads up but I very very rarely pay anyone to do anything for me. I work on nuclear reactors at my day job, so Im sure that I will be able to take care of something as simple as an auto pilot, lol. But thanks. What I am really asking here is what type of set up will best suit my needs, so that I can decide exactly what to buy. As far as the installation goes, it seems like a very system to set up and I will be doing it myself. After I have it installed and running though, I may need someone to come and work the bugs out of it/calibrate it. I have heard that they can be sort of a pain in the ass if not properly zeroed out. So at that point, perhaps I will give him a call. Thanks for the reference. Keep em coming guys.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Just bought a Simrad NSS unit from Wharfrat (chris) here. Good deal and he is an electronics guy so I would start with him. Call him and go from there.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Thanks for the heads up but I very very rarely pay anyone to do anything for me. I work on nuclear reactors at my day job, so Im sure that I will be able to take care of something as simple as an auto pilot, lol. But thanks. What I am really asking here is what type of set up will best suit my needs, so that I can decide exactly what to buy. As far as the installation goes, it seems like a very system to set up and I will be doing it myself. After I have it installed and running though, I may need someone to come and work the bugs out of it/calibrate it. I have heard that they can be sort of a pain in the ass if not properly zeroed out. So at that point, perhaps I will give him a call. Thanks for the reference. Keep em coming guys.

If this Polack can install one then anyone can:rolleyes:.

Top Bottom