auto pilots

thomas hopman

Ensign
Looking for feedback on proper auto pilot for BHM 32. Considering Raymarine Smart Pilot on the wheel, least expensive option but can it handle the boat?

BHM31

Lieutenant
Take a look at COMNAV. I've had one on my BHM for 6 years now w/o any issues at all.

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
I had a sitex sp 80 for 10 years and never had one problem.They are around 1500.00.You will need a solenoid vavle if you have power steering,theres another 700.00 from marine hydraulics.The sp 80 is easy to use ,I never had it interfaced with any other electronics,I just wanted the boat to go in one direction.

Wharf Rat

Marine Electronics 'Professional'
Forum Sponsor
Website
www.precisionmarinecenter.com
Boat Make
OPB
Simrad is our #1 choice in pilots; most reliable, highest level of support. ComNav does make a good pilot, but the product support isn't what it used to be, and being based in British Columbia it takes a while to get replacement parts. The Raymarine Wheel Pilots are really only meant for sailboats, and the SportPilot was a disaster. Their new EVOLUTION pilot is supposed to be a game changer, but we're waiting on some more feedback from the field before we start using them as an option, as they use a totally different method for autosteering with their 9 axis gyro. I'd stick with a Simrad AP28 w/ an RC42. If you have some questions, give me a call at the office, 914-235-4023, or send me an email by clicking on my screen name and sending a direct mail. Things are a little nuts here for me to keep up with PMs, but I'll be happy to help point you in the right direction, but I;ll need some more specifics on the steering system.
-Chris AKA WHarf Rat

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I have to agree Simrad is the best...but anyone else notice that FV-Tuna.com has the Sitex autopilot?

Also anyone notice, is the last episodes, there looks to be a NEON GREEN handled gun in the back window? Is it just me? LOL Im sure its something else...

Wharf Rat

Marine Electronics 'Professional'
Forum Sponsor
Website
www.precisionmarinecenter.com
Boat Make
OPB
The SiTex 36 is actually a rebranded ComNav. The SP110 and SP80 are built by Si-Tex on their own. The SP110 we use mostly on outboard boats and smaller trawlers, as it does not have a second station option. and the 80 on some work boats that don't need some of the features of the AP24/28. Si-Tex has some great support, right up there with Furuno.

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I think the Sitex predates it all...

Not so sure about that, after reading the BOEMarine job that they did on Hard Merchandise, Jim did a good write up on it. Sounds like labor was, but they couldn't even keep the stick on it, etc...

I really do wonder... I still think its amazing how many things are miss matched, lol

Top Bottom