Automatic windlass

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
I have few questions on installing a windlass on my "virtual DE build".

The 31 Blackfin I have now has a wide and tall 3 foot pulpit with a Lewmar horizontal windlass. This setup works fine BUT the length/height of the pulpit and the Lewmar itself significantly cuts down on visibility when under way.

OK, I know many many DE owners haul their anchors from the side davit/pulley setup.

I like the way the Blackfin anchors. Push button from the helm or up front by the foot buttons.

I'm considering a windlass up front for my new virtual DE build.

Requirements of the windlass are "low profile" and a low profile short roller arm that will NOT allow the anchor to "whack" against the hull when anchoring or hauling.

btw, I like the Good windlass. www.goodwindlass.com

Your opinions and experience please>

Bill D

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
One thing with most DE's, and also Parkers is the self launching aspect.

Because of the angle of the deck, then the pulpit the anchor will not self launch without special consideration of the mount or having someone go up and push the thing off the pulpit.

Just one more thing to consider.

Yes, no setup is perfect. My biggest consideration is visibility !
I guess going up front and "launching" the anchor is doable.

Of course if you are alone with no railing, best to have an auto inflate life jacket on, a tether line and a way to get back in the boat !:eek:

I suppose I'll try and do the anchor lay/haul etc. from the cockpit using the davit/pulley/hauler. Then again with 58F water if I fall in I'd have a cardiac event, so wouldn't really matter except for finding my body!:(

At the least I'll run the cables and control wiring for a windlass as the boat's built and make sure the anchor locker is big enough for 400 ft. of 1/2" line and some chain.

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
The Good roller is designed to self launch.

Had one on a 30 Chris we had. Hangs a little low in the stored position which may not be bad for a DE bow and your visibility issue.

PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

How about hauling ??

Once the anchor is above the water is the Good roller "out away from" bow so the anchor will not swing into the hull if it's rough ?

Curious ?

Robert M

Captain
Boat Make
2000 Genral Marine 31 duffy Hull
This setup works the balls, you can get underway before the anchor is seated without hitting hull. I must of used it 3o times last season , think I had to leave the helm one time to unbind the chain.

image.jpg

Last edited:

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
This setup works the balls, you can get underway before the anchor is seated without hitting hull. I must of used it 3o times last season , think I had to leave the helm one time to unbind the chain.

Bob, thanks for the pic but your 31 Duffy is NOT what I'm looking for.:confused:

That is the same setup as my Blackfin now. TOOOOOOOOO much sticking out up front !!!!

Robert M

Captain
Boat Make
So your trying to have a self launching , helm control, system that doesn't smack into the hull on retrieval , with a small pulpit ? I will be following this post incase I save up the coin for a new build.

Last edited:

Robert M

Captain
Boat Make
Sorry I didnt read through the whole thread. Off topic whats the hull of this dream build?

mattinri

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Nordhavn 46
On the DE boats I've been on, the windlass doesn't get in the way, but the pulpit obscures huge portions of the horizon. I seem to recall a Pipe weld "pulpit" on a Flowers 36 that looked lower in profile than most fiberglass or wood pulpits. Alas...no pictures. My "fantasy build" would probably go with the side davit option - also reduces weight in the bow.

Robert M

Captain
Boat Make
Will have a side Davit on my current boat if kept long enough or a new build. although sometimes you want to drop in at shallow water, will always have a windlass up front for convenience .

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Good

I went with the Good Windless. Easy company to deal with & a great product.
A lot of time and research went into making a unit that work well and had great eye appeal to the boat. Being that I could not find a pulpit that I liked. I made a model out of wood. Once I got the look I made my buddy make a mold and produce a custom solid glass pulpit with a 3 boarder cleat to give great strength and a beefy look. The mold is still available. The key was to layout a pulpit just long enough so the anchor would not swing and hit the hull. To date no hits. I also added a 6 Samson post on the pulpit to give it a traditional look & also a post that would be strong enough to tow the boat. The pulpit was bedded with 5200 sealant & 4 5/8 S/S carriage bolts. In addition the four 3/8 carriage bolts for the Samson bite. I am delighted with the look and the performance of the unit. The biggest pain was cutting and bending the bow rail over the pulpit.

aaa.jpg

cccc.jpg

good.jpg

March photo 06 128.jpg

Picture 048.jpg

andy65

Commander
First Name
Andy
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
I recommend a drop through pulpit for a more reliable release. Nothing to tilt, nothing to move, just a straight drop. Good for a high bow or on a normal bow pointing up from wave action. This is what I have and a Good windless which I am pleased with.
DSC03694lr.jpg

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
That's Blitzens boat. Maybe he'll post up.

Sorry I have not been watching this thread but here are a couple pics the first one is on another boat that I saw and the second is mine.

Self launching and far enough away from the bow not to cause any problems.

1409129_11.jpg

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Second picture did not post, here it is I hope.
Not sure why I cant post the second picture but you get the idea.

Top Bottom