Awl Grip and Old name

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
So one problem I am having is the old name showing through on my boat. Figure in 2007 it was alwgripped by the prior owner and then the vinyl sticker put on. We'll when I took the name off today, of course the awl grip behind the stick shined like the day it was put on...

I know one white gelcoat I used to be able wetsand it in to blend it. I know that is out of the realm here... any idea's?

oh yeah, anyway to blend in awlgrip repairs? I think not correct? I dont know...

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
What did you use to buff it out? List of safe abrasives?

How about scratch repair? Possible or no?

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Thanks... new to the awl grip world... actually its the most negative part of the boat to me...

cb34

Rear Admiral
Algrip

New to algrip myself, but I just had my boat painted and was told that you should never wax over the paint.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I know West Marine sells two actual awlgrip products, one is a wash the other a polish? I think that awl care, need to investigate...

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Anyone ever hand paint awlgrip in the open air? ie not in a garage/shed/etc?

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I've rolled and tipped gelcoat, I think I need to buy a can of awlgrip, only thing that worries me is the THIRTY steps beforehand... I'd just like to redo the stern, figure 3'x13'...

reelsportfishing

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.ReeltoReelSportfishing.com
Boat Make
1999 40' Young Brothers
Sean, you might just want to leave it alone. Eventually it will fade. I would just use the rubbing compound lightly on the faded and not touch the new gelcoat where the old name was. Mother nature might take care of it for you. When the whole boat is polished in the spring you'll probably never see it when she's sitting in the water.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
I've had good luck with Awl Grip just rolling w/ small 4 to 6 inch foam rollers. If you get it right you don't need to touch it w/ a brush. Painting a transom like that should not be too hard. I would think it would be easier to get looking really sharp than rolling gel coat, but I have not done much of the latter. It's really not that complicated, but you will need to do very good prep b/c Awl Grip shows all the flaws underneath.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Did you use the awlgrip fillter and undercoatings or something else?

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
No, just whatever filler you would use for gel coat or epoxy, depending on what the surface was. I've painted it it over both of those using a two part epoxy paint for a primer coat after doing whatever filling and fairing needed to be done. That is a good cheap primer for the Awl Grip- like $100 f/ a 2 gallon set. Not so good for a top coat however b/c it has no UV protection and will turn yellow over time.

Top Bottom