Bad day...

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
That is very bad news. Are you in NJ now or Ohio? I know that the weather here was not good last night and would have to say that was a big factor. Here's hoping for a miracle.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
That's a long time to know somebody. Anything like this really sucks, especially at this time of year. Yes, the weather was pretty bad last night. I'll keep my fingers crossed for him, but perhaps prayers are more appropriate. Sometimes I don't understand the commercial view point clearly enough to make a comment on why he was out there in the first place. But I do have a long time friend who captains a scallop dragger and he has remained out in the absolute worst conditions despite being clearly forewarned. So I do get it, sort of. Perhaps that's why I'm not a commercial guy. I will say a prayer for him tonight. It's a terrible thing.

Cichlidgeek

Lieutenant
Yes, it was very nasty here at that time.....near white-out conditions with a stiff wind out of the northwest. Very sad, indeed.

Prayers are with his family and friends.

pugsley

Captain
That's a long time to know somebody. Anything like this really sucks, especially at this time of year. Yes, the weather was pretty bad last night. I'll keep my fingers crossed for him, but perhaps prayers are more appropriate. Sometimes I don't understand the commercial view point clearly enough to make a comment on why he was out there in the first place. But I do have a long time friend who captains a scallop dragger and he has remained out in the absolute worst conditions despite being clearly forewarned. So I do get it, sort of. Perhaps that's why I'm not a commercial guy. I will say a prayer for him tonight. It's a terrible thing.

i don't know if this was his case but probably is.....the clam depuration plant only has room for X number of baskets a day, so, the guys that are "in" get pretty much as many baskets as they want, and the rest of the guys only get a couple a day, almost enough to eek out a weeks pay,

unless you get some bad weather when the "in" guys don't go, then the other guys get all the baskets they want, probably more in a day than they can usually get in a week. that is exactly what happened to the guy i knew up there.

WRHardie

Commander
I'm unfortunately living in Ohio right now but bou
That stretch of waterfront is a little spooky with a strong tide add the wind and it can be pretty white knuckle if you get sideways. Heard one report he was on his way to offload and another that he had already offloaded, its sucks to never really know what happened. The photo on the Asbury Park Press's site is pretty fucking cold, just an upturned hull and the handle to his rake bobbing.

robbie

Commander
Let's just pray they can find him and bring him home to his loved ones.

I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by;
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face, and a grey dawn breaking.

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over

Top Bottom