Bait wells...Live wells.... Asking for suggestions

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Curious for what you guys have fabricated for bait/live wells.
Either above or below cockpit.

I'm pretty sure I'll install a stern fuel tank so I have some available space under the deck for a small well.

Of course that means a water feed and pump drain low and "just above" the water line.

Anybody have a basic schematic on a small 16WX20LX10H below deck homemade setup?

Constant flow in, overflow drain up top too ??????????? and then a pump to drain after use I assume.

Or is there a way with the fewest pumps etc.

Thanks, Bill D

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
I've built a bunch but in my experienced the kodiak's work the best. My next build will have a store bought live well.

If you do build one make sure the ends are round and try to introduce the water so there's a whirlpool inside the well. The fish need water movement.

duxbait

Captain
I'm with the kodiak idea too. On a smaller cockpit it is nice to have a well you can take off the boat easily. Make a space where it can be strapped down so it doesn't slide around, then just take it off the boat for days you don't want it. A below deck tank sounds too small for you to be satisfied.

RyanCT

Lieutenant Commander
Will the stern fuel tank go full beam? If not maybe you can still squeeze them in the corners.

Below is photo I saw recently on boattest.com of a 25 gallon livewell tucked nicely into the corner.

scout_275dorado_starboardlivewell_2014.jpg

scout_275dorado_cockpittable_2014.jpg

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
For some reason those livewells look a little "out of place" :shock:

I agree with the removeable bait tank idea ..

bloodstripe

Ensign
I cut a 55 gallon plastic drum in half put clear plexi on top with hinged door and plumbed water to bottom using heavy duty rule washdown pump with 3'' overflow plenty of transfer and whirlpool action keeps bunker all day. Towards end of day they get a little red but still swim strong.

Roy-c

Commander
Ditto on the 55 plastic drum. Pump into the bottom with a tee connection and a valve, drain it out the scupper to empty and discharge out the top through pvc pipe. Simple, round ( no dead corners for bait to hide in and drown ), leave it ashore when not needed.

captchuck

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
26' Seaway
It's defenitely all about the water flow I built a Carolina style one under my transom gunnel and it works well and is not in the way. If you are going to put you fuel tank there I would consider making a well like they put in Rambo center consoles I will try to get some photos of my fathers but i know some guys use them with no pumps at all. I just don't know how the style would work for draining since a Downeast is going to be moving slower.

JimRP31

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Willis Beal/RP 31
Bill, Have you thought about using a cooler initially. You can plumb them or get a bubbler.

FVSD

Lieutenant Commander
I like the kodiacs but sometimes it hard to find a place for them. If I were building a new downeast I'd have at least a 50 gallon built right into the transom and a larger one under the deck. I'd also rig one for an oxygen systems for herring on multi-day trip.

JDTOOM

Lieutenant Commander
Ditto on the 55 plastic drum. Pump into the bottom with a tee connection and a valve, drain it out the scupper to empty and discharge out the top through pvc pipe. Simple, round ( no dead corners for bait to hide in and drown ), leave it ashore when not needed.

Do you have a picture of this set up?

John 40

Lieutenant Commander
Bill, I am currently building a livewell/cooler above deck. Half the box is a 40 gallon livewell and half for ice. Cutting board on top, will post a pic of it. Also have a 42 gallon Kodiak that I was going to sell if interested.

plyandglass

Lieutenant Commander
baitwell

bill,
built several of them in years past ,built mold , etc....... but one of the slickest setups I used was a Kodiak pre-formed ,think it was 35-40 gal.
built it into the console (Carolina boat) but plumbed it up with the valves remote mounted and upper and lower directional jets and it worked like a charm. word of caution !!! make sure overflow is oversized!

wave monkey

Lieutenant Commander
its not about water flow as water temp is always to hot on the surface you need to chill well and filter water to keep bait alive for days at a time and needing very little oxygen when the water is cool = good insulation and chilling system of your well , from adding ice to a 110 volt plug in chill system

restless

Rear Admiral
Rule of thumb is overflow [outlet] should be double the dia. of the fill hose. With a high capacity pump you may need two outlet hoses.

Top Bottom